Mid mount mower needs to come off.

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I have a mid mount mower, under my JD855. I thought the extra weight would help, come plowing time. We got 5 - 6" of snow Friday, with some 2 foot drifts, thanks to the Iowa winds.

I'm using a rear blade, turned backwards, unless the front bucket is needed. Not using my chains yet. The weight probably does help, but the dang mower catches a TON of snow before the rear blade can plow. I'm gonna have to try and remove it (now that it's nice and cold and full of snow). :mad:

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #2  
After the last mowing of the Fall, I pull all of the summer equipment off, put the blower on, and put the chains on. May sit there like that for three months unused, but it's much more pleasant doing all that on a warm sunny fall day......

if you have a garage you can do the work in, might make it easier. Might have to deal with the mower being frozen on though.

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #3  
Dad left his mid mount mower on his BX2230 one winter and the adjustable mower wheels no onger adjust. Grr, seeing how this is actually my mower on his tractor. Since, we have removed the mower deck in the fall before it snows. Jon

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off.
It's in an unheated pole barn, with a concrete section. It's supposed to get to 36 degrees tomorrow, so I may try to get it off then.

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #5  
It's in an unheated pole barn, with a concrete section. It's supposed to get to 36 degrees tomorrow, so I may try to get it off then.
Aren't our temp swings just crazy!!!! We're supposed to hit mid 40s tomorrow and then a high of 8 Thursday......

I'm just 15 miles from Iowa down I-35.

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #6  
Learned this quickly myself the first time I plowed. it also helps you bury it in snow. I think I broke an attachment bar as well, from getting it wedged. Get it off, just slows you down

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #7  
I've found that having the FEL attached can make mounting/dismounting the MMM easier.....by lifting the front end. Maybe your JD will be the same.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #8  
I've found that having the FEL attached can make mounting/dismounting the MMM easier.....by lifting the front end. Maybe your JD will be the same.

Cheers,
Mike
requirement on mine, to get over it, otherwise it moves

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off.
The temps got up to 34 yesterday. Predicting a high of -1 on Thursday, so I went out to get the thing off. I used compressed air to blow off the accumulated snow and pulled the tractor onto the concrete pad. It came off just fine, just like Deere planned it. The driveshaft wasn't stuck or anything... :)

/ Mid mount mower needs to come off. #10  
The temps got up to 34 yesterday. Predicting a high of -1 on Thursday, so I went out to get the thing off. I used compressed air to blow off the accumulated snow and pulled the tractor onto the concrete pad. It came off just fine, just like Deere planned it. The driveshaft wasn't stuck or anything... :)
Awesome!!! Thanks for the update!!!

Yep. We were 47F yesterday. 17F this morning and will fall all day. Predicted high of 10F tomorrow. Ain't the Midwest great!!!