Mid-pto cover?

/ Mid-pto cover? #1  

Wacky

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 GC2610
The manual states to cover the mid-pto shaft when not in use. But, with what?? Mine didn't come with one. Is there a part number available for one? I brush hog alot of tall weeds and grass. I don't want to have any thing damage the seal around the shaft. Any ideas, they say cover it ,but there is no bolt holes around to mount the rear one (which is too big anyway) to it.

/ Mid-pto cover? #2  
Wacky, I think we've all been there! Yep, the book says to cover it- not a bad idea. Nope, there's no cover. :confused:

What I've used is a piece of 1" heater hose onto which I super-glued a spray window cleaner cap. I've made covers for all my exposed-when-not-in-use shafts.

Works great, keeps grease in, slides on & off easily yet stays in place well, even on mid-PTO when the tractor's running.

Attachments

• PTO shaft covers.JPG
    PTO shaft covers.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 138
   / Mid-pto cover? #3  
The mid-PTO cover on the Deere 4300 fastens onto short stubs on the housing, with a can-like cover that locks on with a 1/8 twist (or less). Not a good description, but a pic attached. Protects the seal if it stays on through the brush. Don't have a clue if it is anything similar on the MF, but the short stubs are rather subtle and hard to notice.

Attachments

• Mid_PTO_cover.JPG
    Mid_PTO_cover.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 143