MIG or TIG: Which is better?

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #51  
My step brother was a welder on the Calloway, MO reactor. He said the majority of his welds were "x-rayed" for quality. He was very proud to be a welder on that job. He has been gone for a few years, the combination of fumes and cigarettes took their toll.

I have worked Calloway twice. A nice place. X-rayed welds are usually associated on the primary piping components of a safety-related system, normally the steam supply system (NSSS).

Most welders I have come to work around have a sense of ownership and pride. Each safety-related weld is stenciled with a specific welder's identification (in an area adjacent to the weld or weld joint).

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #52  
I dont think there is such a machine or process in welding whereby 1 is good for everything. That said, the best all around welding equipment with the least cost would be a good AC/DC welding machine with high frequency attachment and a TIG Torch with gas regulator and a bottle of Helium.
I thot Argon was used preferentially these days. I there an advantage to Helium? Seems it might fly away too quick vs a heavier gas.
larry

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #53  
Overhead welding comes to mind.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #54  
Straight Argon is All Tig and Aluminum Mig. The rest is all mixed gas. :thumbsup:

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #55  
Answer is GTAW Tig welding is Better Quality Craftmanship More Skill required and more practice involed. GMAW good for mufflers body shops building trailers Pipe sheet metal but its dirty bright and loud. Its easy to learn a young child can wire weld in a few hours. Tig welding requires skill, Needs to be learned correctly. A good welding machine AC/DC CC CV will do it all MIg Tig and stick.
Should learn oxy acetalyne welding cutting grinding then Stick SMAW welding then GTAW tig welding. I made a brush guard for JD 4400 today using Miller Bobcat GTAW out of Stainless Steel.
I started with only 300# of argon left in bottle im not done yet but wil lbe tomorrow. All Free Hand one piece of 3/32"tungsten all cuts with porta band saw 1/16" 316L and 3/32" rods Grill Guard 3rd pic.jpg and scrap pipe 1" & 1/2" sch 40 3/8" round stock. i used a small #6 cup and set gas on 15 cfm's i still have 200# of argon. thanks