Mig Welders

/ Mig Welders #11  
Wanna weld razor blade thickness metal together then that is the territory of tig.

Agreed.

But the versatility of a MIG is compelling.

I'll probably never weld razor blades together again but was able to do a satisfactory weld, on the 1st try (with a MIG). If all I had was a stick I would find it extremely limiting.

attachment.php

Attachments

• razor_Multimatic.jpg
    razor_Multimatic.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 127
  • razor_topweld.jpg
    razor_topweld.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 474
   / Mig Welders #12  
Nice pictures Sodo, but those are carpenter's utility knife blades and easily within the thickness capability of mig. Heck those things are thicker than sheet metal on most cars.

Razor blades are a fraction of that thickness.

/ Mig Welders #13  
OK you caught me, the old double edge razor blades were something like .005
This utility blade is probably .023-.025

O.P> asked what's the fuss about MIGs, why people like them. This is just an example of the versatility of a MIG. Lots of folks reading thru these threads get the message that they need to get a stick or go home.

It's my opinion that those folks who are looking for a useful tool will be stymied by the long learning curve for stick welding. They ought to start with a MIG, and if they need a stick, then get one they're easy enough to come by.

/ Mig Welders #14  
OK you caught me, the old double edge razor blades were something like .005 This utility blade is probably .023-.025 Intent is to show an example of the versatility of a MIG, the topic of this thread.
plus it's a lap joint! Fail!

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Mig Welders #15  
It's my opinion that those folks who are looking for a useful tool will be stymied by the long learning curve for stick welding. They ought to start with a MIG, and if they need a stick, then get one they're easy enough to come by.

I think the opposite... learn to stick weld decently and learn what makes a good weld. Later (if you desire) get a mig for the speed. It is also cheaper for production welding.

/ Mig Welders
This thread has taken a life of it's own and I like it. I originally started it because I was very frustrated after trying to use a mig and then I got on one of these forums and one more person had extolled the virtues of a mig. I've cooled off by now but at the time it was more than I was willing to take.

Maybe a bit of history. Dad had a tombstone Lincoln welder. He never encouraged us to weld but he didn't say we couldn't either. One of the first projects I remember (16 17 years old) doing was welding all the holes shut that had rusted trough the sideways barrel that we used as a water trough for the cows. Dad of course figured I had wasted my time but I learned how to weld thin rusty junk with a stick.

After I moved to Alberta (age 22) I took a two week welding course that the government of Alberta put on for farmers. I played with tig and mig and dc welders there and learned a lot. I even set up my brothers mig to weld al. During those years I worked for a farmer that had a Miller 225. Good welder. One of my major projects for him was to build a 110 foot tower for his two way radio antenna. It was put up in the early 80's and is still standing.

About 1995 I got my heavy duty ticket and started my own business as a repair person. I get to work on motorcycles, boats, quads, trailers, cars, trucks and farm machinery. I still weld but don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I'm not as steady as I used to be and I can't see as well either. My present welder is a 295 amp John Deere that I bought new for $230 in the mid 80's.

I'm fortunate in having had a wide variety of experiences repairing and building things.

/ Mig Welders #17  
This thread has taken a life of it's own and I like it. I originally started it because I was very frustrated after trying to use a mig and then I got on one of these forums and one more person had extolled the virtues of a mig. I've cooled off by now but at the time it was more than I was willing to take. Maybe a bit of history. Dad had a tombstone Lincoln welder. He never encouraged us to weld but he didn't say we couldn't either. One of the first projects I remember (16 17 years old) doing was welding all the holes shut that had rusted trough the sideways barrel that we used as a water trough for the cows. Dad of course figured I had wasted my time but I learned how to weld thin rusty junk with a stick. After I moved to Alberta (age 22) I took a two week welding course that the government of Alberta put on for farmers. I played with tig and mig and dc welders there and learned a lot. I even set up my brothers mig to weld al. During those years I worked for a farmer that had a Miller 225. Good welder. One of my major projects for him was to build a 110 foot tower for his two way radio antenna. It was put up in the early 80's and is still standing. About 1995 I got my heavy duty ticket and started my own business as a repair person. I get to work on motorcycles, boats, quads, trailers, cars, trucks and farm machinery. I still weld but don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I'm not as steady as I used to be and I can't see as well either. My present welder is a 295 amp John Deere that I bought new for $230 in the mid 80's. I'm fortunate in having had a wide variety of experiences repairing and building things.

I enjoyed your story. Any chance of a pic of your JD welder?

Terry

/ Mig Welders #18  
I think the opposite... learn to stick weld decently and learn what makes a good weld. Later (if you desire) get a mig for the speed. It is also cheaper for production welding.
I've heard all my life the best way to learn how to weld is to start with oxygen & acetylene. This is the fastest way to learn puddle control. Once you learn puddle control, then you have to learn how to read the puddle, and anticipate what the puddle is going to do, so you can make corrections, before the puddle falls on your feet.:eek:

/ Mig Welders #20  
<snip>
For a minimal cash investment: Nothing covers more bases than an $75-100 used AC 230 volt stick welder and a decent quality $350 115 volt mig welder<snip>
I agree with the concept but reality bites.

Where does this store selling quality
$75-100 used AC 230 volt stick welder
exist?
I searched Craigslist, auctions, rebuilt etc. for a year and RARELY in my area did a < $100 stick welder show up that looked like it would even work.
And then it would be gone right after posting. And mailorder had horrendous shipping costs.

It's like telling people they can get a nearly new 5' tiller for $500, or a 5' bush hog for $250. I score a lot of deals on Craigslist and auctions but when I was seriously looking for a welder the only areas they were popping up were the west coast (SA hand me downs?) and depressed areas of Ohio.

I finally gave up on the used stick welder search and bought a new PA 300 (for $287.05).

Even that pinnacle of cheapness, Harbor Freight, charges about $150 to $200 (?list? $300) for their "225 amp" 240V stick welder.

So please all you pros stop enticing us with references to a used $75 240V buzz box and be more realistic.

And I agree an inexpensive 240V stick and a decent 120V MIG may be a good mix.