Mig welding Aluminium

/ Mig welding Aluminium #11  
You'll want to measure "Load Volts", (while welding). Across the gun and ground lead.

/ Mig welding Aluminium #12  
If you need to weld aluminum with a 115v unit you really only have a narrow window. Install a teflon liner in your mig gun. Run only 4043 .030 wire preferably with U groove drive rolls. Turn wire speed up to max and adjust voltage until you get a nice hot flat weld. Once you get there, That is your only option. It will be about 1/8" Aluminum..No more no less. If you have to do Aluminum that is less than 1/8" you need to go to beat the band to keep from burning through. Or buy a new Twin Pulse unit for $7k and never worry about it again.:thumbsup:

/ Mig welding Aluminium #13  
I bought a Cobramatic, (push pull) for $400.00 and run it off my $300.00 Mig machine. :D

Attachments

• Mig station.jpg
    Mig station.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 326
  • end view.jpg
    end view.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Fillet.jpg
    Fillet.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,956
   / Mig welding Aluminium
You'll want to measure "Load Volts", (while welding). Across the gun and ground lead.

OK, so that would be a volt meter across the gun and the ground lead and then start welding and read the volts while running a bead.

Fiddly to set up but I will give it a go.:)

/ Mig welding Aluminium #15  
I've done a little aluminum welding with a Lincoln Sp125 mig without a spool gun. I was able to weld 1/8" aluminum pretty good with it but the welder didn't have any settings to prevent burn back post weld. It wouldn't do it every time but if you stopped welding and it burned back to the tip it would stick. If you didn't break it free before trying to weld again you would get a birds nest at the drive rollers. But I was easy able to weld a skag back onto an outboard.