Might have made a mistake

/ Might have made a mistake #21  
He said it works great on a skid steer because you can see better, not sure on a tractor.

This is true for sure. I also borrowed one to see if it worked. It worked marginally on a skid steer with a jazillion times better visibility and a half jazillion times faster hydraulics over a tractor to separate the scooped rock from the un avoidable dirt and organic matter (grass, alfalfa, etc.)
Your soils and the dampness will make a difference. Dry is good, sandy glacial till is good. I was dealing with just cleared land so roots, sticks and any weeds, grass all got in the way of "screening" the rocks out of the inevitable soil that you scoop up and fairly violent (fast) shaking of the bucket was required, at least for my conditions. In a nice - only so many rock situation on a short alfalfa field I'd bet it might just work better than tossing them in the tractor bucket. Borrow that rascal and find out:thumbsup:

/ Might have made a mistake
RI,

Read post #13.

I got the land roller from my neighbor and it was working great until the carrier bearings sheared off on both sides. Hopefully we can get it fixed today and I can finish smashing the rocks back down to their birthplace.:laughing:

It's to wet/muddy to do anything for several hours but if we can get the parts and get it back together I'll be done tonight.:thumbsup:

/ Might have made a mistake #23  
Craigslist add:

Landscape rocks $30 a ton. FCFS. No holds. Some have gold in them. A few petrified dinosaur bones. POOS. While they last.

:laughing:

I think the only thing is my rocks is the desire to break farm equipment.

Got the land roller back together and finished rolling it out. It'll take some work but I'm gonna get all the rocks out of the field if it kills me, and it just might. :laughing: :eek:

Here's a some pictures.

DSCN3545.JPG
DSCN3546.JPG
DSCN3547.JPG

As luck would have it, Wednesday it rained most of the day. The ground was still soft/moist so the rocks just pushed in like they should.:thumbsup:

/ Might have made a mistake #28  
RI,
I can finish smashing the rocks back down to their birthplace.:laughing:
:

But they won't stay down there below the surface. You know that cold weather will will push them up again next winter - especially if you are in an area with sunny days and cold nights. The only thing that is guaranteed to work is just emoving them. I sure wish there was an easy method. I've looked with longing at some of the hydraulic rock pickers & crushers on the market. Very high dollar implements, but I may try to rent one someday.
rScotty

Ya, so we picked rocks, many, many rocks before smashing them in. After I cut and get the hay out of the field I'll go around again and start picking more rocks. It may take a few years but I'll get then sooner or later. :laughing: I'm 56 right now and I'd sooner get them out while I can still bend over and do it. It sure won't be any easier when I'm 66. :eek:

The rocks are not evenly spread over the whole field. Some areas have none while others have a concentrated amount. My plan is to have the field harrowed again in the late summer/early fall so I have time to work on it for some time before it snows. Then again next spring. I'd just like the feeling of cutting the field without one concern of hitting a rock. :drink:

/ Might have made a mistake #30  
Guys a rock fork is better than bending over and actually picking rocks by hand. A rock fork sort of looks like a pitch fork but the tines are closer together, and more of them and the tines are bent to form a "basket" for several rocks to rest in as you pick up another one with the front part of the tines. The rock fork handle also give you a bit more reach and requires fewer steps to get to the rocks. You can clear about an 7 or 8 foot swath. If you have someone driving the tractor slowly as you pick or as another has said if you have a creeper gear range just get off and pick and let the tractor follow you. Just don't "mess up" and let the tractor run over your silly butt. I think you will find the rock fork will increase your efficiency considerably and your back will be in better shape at the end of the day. Sure it requires some muscle power to lever the handle to move the rocks, but it is better than bending over.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/yo-ho-stone-fork/0000000044779

I guess "stone fork" instead of "rock fork". We used to have two of them when I was a kid, and it is how I grew up picking rocks.