Mighty Mule gate opener

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #1  

oldtexan

Tractor
john deere 2305
After owning 2 mighty mule 500 gate openers and having the last one also fail with a bad control board as did the first one, i decided to not buy their overpriced replacement boards. I removed all of the insides, with the exception of the working motor and screw shaft; then from Amazon, bought 2 12v relays to mount inside the housing to operate the motor direction and a remote 12v controller to operate the relays. Pressing button A to open and button B to close I paid under $40 dollar for needed parts.
I aready had a solar panel and deep cycle battery and plan to add a web based remote controller for added ease of use. Next it will be changing out the Mighty Mule motor with a garage door opener😀

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #3  
I have a ghost controls unit, it's decent, but not perfect.
Having used commercial units at work and consumer models at home, I just think gate controllers are not super reliable as a whole, it does not seem cost or design makes a significant difference in reliability.

The simplicity you created might be the best bet!
Did you utilize the existing limit switches or are you just using full stroke both ways?

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #4  
I have Nice brand gate openers. As the name implies, they're nice.

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #5  
I’ve had a Patriot brand gate opener on my very heavy 16’ pipe gate for over 12 years, still working well. I’ve replaced two batteries in that time and my solar panel is still going strong charging the batteries. I can’t complain about that brand. The only problems I’ve had is I’ve blown maybe 2 fuses on the panel when I stupidly tried to open the gate when blocked by heavy snow.