Winches Milemarker hydraulic winch

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #1  
I found an old thread on hydraulic winches and PT's.....

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/107495-hydraulic-winch-question.html

Did anyone ever rig up a Milemarker or really figure out what it would take to make it work? I've got a 9000lb 2 speed one sitting in my shed that I took off a jeep before I sold it. It's been sitting for many more years than I thought it would and the PT would be a good use for it. I'd be running it off a 425.

Hmmm, might have to drain and flush the winch (to get power steering fluid out) and put a filter on the exit line to make sure no junk gets flushed into the PT.

Thanks!

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #2  

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/107495-hydraulic-winch-question.html

Did anyone ever rig up a Milemarker or really figure out what it would take to make it work? I've got a 9000lb 2 speed one sitting in my shed that I took off a jeep before I sold it. It's been sitting for many more years than I thought it would and the PT would be a good use for it. I'd be running it off a 425.

Hmmm, might have to drain and flush the winch (to get power steering fluid out) and put a filter on the exit line to make sure no junk gets flushed into the PT.

Thanks!

Check out the pressure on the winch, I don't think it will take 3000 psi. It was designed to work off the power steering pump, which is maybe 1000 to 1500 psi. Other than that, just plug it in and winch. Always take some straps to tie your PT to a tree, or else. You could add several spikes , or three triangular teeth to the bottom of the QA plate to help secure a good pull.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #3  
Many years ago I thought about getting one to haul firewood out of the forest... however, I found my little PT425 could get in to most of my woods with little to no problem and working with a winch on our property is not necessary. Anyhow, I had called the mile marker company and they said it should work. Why don't you look them up and give them a call, see if you can talk to their tech department and see what they say?

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #5  
I would not subject those lift arms to a 9,000 lb pull, even straight on. I don't know what the lift arms' design limitation is, but you can get an idea of what PT thinks should be the max. Their hydraulic winch for the PT-425 is rated at 4,000 lbs, less than half of what you are proposing.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #6  
portablewinch.com sells some nice pulleys etc for hauling logs out of the woods. You can keep your tractor or atv on the trails and still pull the logs out. The directional changing pulleys are really neat.

Ken

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #7  

Thanks!
Hi Chris,
I wrote this thread about a year ago.
I have a Mile Marker hydraulic winch quick attach to front and rear of my tractor.
I thought you might be interested in it? It's got several photos in it too.

Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch

Since the installation a year ago, I've used it several times to pull logs and shrubs down a steep hillside behind my home.
It's worked flawlessly for me and I have no complaints. Looks like the pressure reducer valve or "cushion valve" is doing it's job to keep the psi where it needs to be. I've had no failures. Oh, I still have the pressure gauge on there, it hasn't gotten snapped off yet.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #8  
I would not subject those lift arms to a 9,000 lb pull, even straight on. I don't know what the lift arms' design limitation is, but you can get an idea of what PT thinks should be the max. Their hydraulic winch for the PT-425 is rated at 4,000 lbs, less than half of what you are proposing.

I agree with the above. PT used to sell a more powerful winch (I think it was 5 tons) and pulled it off of the market. I asked them if it had damaged PT tractors and did not get a straight answer.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #9  
I agree with the above. PT used to sell a more powerful winch (I think it was 5 tons) and pulled it off of the market. I asked them if it had damaged PT tractors and did not get a straight answer.

Bob,

The arms on my PT are 3/4 in thick, and I see no reason why you can not get a good pull using the arms. I would think the limitation would be the thickness of the mounting plate. It will not matter what direction you are pulling from, the winch will try and pull the PT straight if tied to a tree, and pull the PT if not tied down. I would put the lift arms in float and let it seek it's own level.

The pulling capacity on that winch is 9,000 lbs only when pulling from the bottom layer.

If pulling using only the top layer of cable, the pulling capacity is around 5,500 lbs. and gets better with a longer pull. , and decreases as you winch in the cable.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #10  
Bob,

Here's my thoughts, since I've also been considering a MileMarker, though I haven't tried them out...

Been thinking of mounting a 2" receiver on top of my HD rock bucket, then putting the winch on one of the hitch-mounting saddles. Then, tilt the bucket down so that the cutting edge and teeth serve as the "anchor" to pull against, and put the lift arms in float. The harder the winch pulled, the more it pulls the bucket into the ground, making it a better anchor...

If there's a stump or tree-trunk handy, you could also use it by putting the bucket edge against it, with a wide 2X to protect the tree trunk if necessary. The way the top of the HD bucket is formed and reinforced, I think it could handle the pull, though you might bow the bottom of the bucket if using a stump or tree trunk.

In the above examples, the pulling force is placed on the bucket, not even the QA mechanism, much less the lift arms. In no case would I tie the back end of the PT to something, then pull from a winch mounted on the front -- I think you'd risk pulling the PT apart at the articulating joint or pulling the lift arms off it...

Just some thoughts, though I've never tried them...

I, too, need to pull some beaver-fallen tree trunks out of the pond... but I haven't even gotten a trail cleared down that far yet.