Milky fliud in water separator

/ Milky fliud in water separator #11  
Just seen your pic. Kind looks like the red-ring has hit the upper limit of its travel capability?

You do need to drain whatever is in your fuel tank, flush and source fuel (Perhaps in a new 5 gal. container to eliminate your containers as a source of contam.) from a different branded gas station.

The dealer may buy their fuel from the same one you did earlier - Who knows? The ground tanks there may be contaminated.

Tip: when you get new fuel this time. shake your container vigorously and pour some into a clear jar/bottle/jug. Let it settle and see if there is anything of concern BEFORE pouring into the tractor tank.

Regards,
:wrench:

/ Milky fliud in water separator #12  
I'd want to get to the closest hose/line from the fuel tank and drain until all I could see coming out was fresh uncontaminated fuel. Once accomplished, then replace ALL filters going forward to the fuel water separator. You obviously do NOT want any water getting reaching your fuel injection pump. It is a critical component and cannot tolerate ANY water.

Without verifying yourself that the entire fuel tank has been drained and flushed of any contaminant residue, especially water, I wouldn't have it leave the dealers shop. This problem began with them, IMHO it needs to end at their door.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #13  
Re: Milky fluid in water separator

Is the engine a common rail direct injection? If so, and if that's water I would be concerned with any possible damage to the high pressure fuel pump. I'm not to sure how the pumps in tractor engines have been handling this situation but trucks have not done well with water in fuel. If it is a CRDI may I suggest you at least have some documentation from the dealer that says it was their fuel that started this, not what you put in.

/ Milky fliud in water separator

Is the engine a common rail direct injection? If so, and if that's water I would be concerned with any possible damage to the high pressure fuel pump. I'm not to sure how the pumps in tractor engines have been handling this situation but trucks have not done well with water in fuel. If it is a CRDI may I suggest you at least have some documentation from the dealer that says it was their fuel that started this, not what you put in.

Yes, it is CRDI. if fuel pump is affected, will tractor be running rough or what are the symptoms if fuel pump is affected? It did lose power before the dealer drained fuel and cleaned water separator. So far I have not noticed any issues after their repair except that it only took 7 hrs or 10 ga of fuel for the water separator to collect all that white stuff to the full bowl again.

/ Milky fliud in water separator

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. The dealer claims it's "normal" for water separator to collect water, he says it's common for diesel to contain some water in it, and the water separator is doing its job. Told him it's just not right for the water separator to collect this much water only after running through 10 ga of fuel. He wants me to drain the water separator and see how fast it collects that white stuff again. I guess I'll have to convince him there's excess water in the system.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #16  

Yes, it is CRDI. if fuel pump is affected, will tractor be running rough or what are the symptoms if fuel pump is affected? It did lose power before the dealer drained fuel and cleaned water separator. So far I have not noticed any issues after their repair except that it only took 7 hrs or 10 ga of fuel for the water separator to collect all that white stuff to the full bowl again.

In instances I have read on truck forums the high pressure fuel pump tore itself apart and took out everthing downstream from it also. Required a complete replacement of the entire fuel system. At the time I had a Ford with the 6.7 diesel in it there were a few instances of this. All had water get into the fuel, larger than normal. (In all the years I had that engine I drained the water separator regularly and never saw any water.) The HPFP on those engines run at 30,000psi and with the already poor lubrication in our ULSD fuel , the water finished off the pumps. Now I'm not saying all pumps are succeptable to this. However, for you dealer to even bring up the suggestion that that is a "normal" amount of water would make me think he is already starting to cover himself. I would want something from him that says this started with the fuel he put in, and that he references water found. If something happens 2 or 3 years down the road you don't want them dumping it back on you. That much water, at least as it appears, I can't believe some didn't get past the separator. (But I'm not a mechanic, but I do believe in covering myself for a worst case situation)

/ Milky fliud in water separator #17  
Get a Mr Funnel fuel funnel. Remove the line going into your fuel filter and run the fuel coming out of the tank thru the funnel into one of your five gallon cans. Do this twice and there should be no water left in your system.
If you think your getting bad fuel, use the funnel when filling your tractor.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #18  
It looks like the dealer filled it with water logged diesel. Then the dealer drained most of the tank, leaving the bottom little bit which was mostly water. So when you filled again it just added fresh diesel to the top of the water in the tank.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #19  
NO way that is 'normal'; your dealer is stroking you and is full of cowpoo. DO NOT continue to run that engine with the crap fuel in your tank!:talktothehand:
Get them to completely drain the tank as already stated until there is NO evidence of water in the tank and then flush the tank with fresh clean diesel and replace ALL filtration on the tractor. Then run it and verify the fuel/water separator is NOT still picking up water. If it is, there is still a problem. Clean and verify. Keep doing it until NO EVIDENCE of water is present. That is why you have a fuel water separator to begin with.

Diesel injection pumps are assembled in clean rooms with negative air pressure to make absolutely sure there are NO contaminants, including dust present during assembly. There are youtube videos showing the assembly process. Diesel systems that run on high pressure and microscopic size particles of fuel atomized for optimum combustion do not tolerate water or any other debris.

Solve it now or forever own the issues of a damaged fuel injection system. Trust me, you do NOT want to face the later option. Its ugly and wicked expensive.
We dealt with diesel autos in my foreign auto repair facility all the time, way back in the 1980's and then the fuel was loaded with sulfur and other lubricants not present today. Fuel must be atomized to combust as designed and water is not part of that equation. We used what Mercedes approved as the ONLY additive at the time- Red Line diesel fuel catalyst, which broke down water particles into smaller molecules to allow whatever minute quantities were present in gelled fuel filters to burn completely during combustion. We also replaced injectors that had wonky spray patterns and diesel injection pumps at thousands of $$$$ when they had been destroyed by contaminated fuel over time and lack of proper timely fuel filter maintenance intervals.

Do not take no for an answer from your dealer. Sit down with him and explain what is an acceptable result from your perspective and what exactly you expect him to do to fix the problem. Bring a witness to the conversation, and agree with him to the plan you outline for him to solve at his expense and time.
I'd want him to show several clocked hours on your hour meter AFTER he has done what I outlined as to tank drain and flush and all new filters, before you receive the tractor back from his shop. Record before service and after service hours on the meter on you phone camera with a date/time stamp for proof of your requirements of his work on your machine. Good luck; be nice about your requirements, but make it clear the it's 'normal' BS is NOT going to fly.:thumbsup:

/ Milky fliud in water separator #20  

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. The dealer claims it's "normal" for water separator to collect water, he says it's common for diesel to contain some water in it, and the water separator is doing its job. Told him it's just not right for the water separator to collect this much water only after running through 10 ga of fuel. He wants me to drain the water separator and see how fast it collects that white stuff again. I guess I'll have to convince him there's excess water in the system.

BS. It is not normal for diesel fuel to have water in it. Certainly not as much as you have documented.