Milky hydraulic fliud.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud.
I know I have to look into the suction leak . Time is just not on my side right now. but I have been using the tractor much less then required and more arm muscle.
Hopefully when I get to it its only a 5 minute job that I put off.
ThaNKS FOR THE INFO.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #22  
If it's a suction leak that has just started since you performed a service to the tractor it is likely at your filter.
Did the old o ring come off with the filter?
Did you lubricate the oring on the new filter?
You can check it over very carefully with a good light looking for a distorted o ring,
or remove the filter and check the condition of it.
You will dump a considerable amount of fluid removing the suction filter.
I don't recall if the filter brand was discussed, some tractors are very fussy about that and just about require a factory filter to operate correctly.
A suction leak quite often will not leak fluid but will allow air to leak into the system.
Running your tractor with the aireated fluid is bad for the pump.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #23  
I am a better person for having read this post. Thank you everyone for your wisdom. The fist tractor I bought used had gotten contaminated with water on the delivery trip from the dealer, luckily dealer took it back. It was a gut wrenching experience though, so water contamination scares the crap out of me. Glad to know milky oil is not always water.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud.
Update .... Finally got around to looking at the suction leak.
Did find one filter not leaking but did tighten it about 3/4 turn.
Next question is if It was the filter how long would it take for the oil to clear?

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #25  
less then a day, just several hours in cold oil.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #26  
Update .... Finally got around to looking at the suction leak.
Did find one filter not leaking but did tighten it about 3/4 turn.
Next question is if It was the filter how long would it take for the oil to clear?

As Lou says, overnight. BTW, the times I've found a suction leak it was never the filters. It was always a fitting...usually a rubber hose tightened by a hose clamp had developed a crack on the INSIDE surface of the hose. It was hard to see from the outside. The only clue was that area was always wet with oil. It wasn't obviously leaking oil out, and not any drips.... it was just wet. But that was enough to let air in when running.
rScotty

/ Milky hydraulic fliud.
Spent some time yesterday looking at the suction leak.. Not knowing much about tractors I thought the pump was under tractor where the filters are. Followed the hoses to the engine where I assume found the hydraulic pump. . Left side near bottom.
No sign of any leaks on any of the hoses there. . Where the hoses run from the filters that's a tight area . Cant even see it there let alone work if required. Under gas tank and several cross members . Lots of stuff in there brake cables included. Did see water dripping from in there due to snow on the seat controls. . So I'm back to filters although guys here couple have said not normally a filter

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #28  
Common sense says it is the filters since that is what you changed before this occurred. Either replace them with new filters or find the old filters and scrounge the "O" rings off of them and put them on the new filters.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud. #29  
Common sense says it is the filters since that is what you changed before this occurred. Either replace them with new filters or find the old filters and scrounge the "O" rings off of them and put them on the new filters.
I agree and I'd go one step further. Just reinstall the original filter if you have it. I had a filter that was manufactured incorrectly- the threaded hole wasn't perpendicular to the face of the filter so no matter how tight you made it, it would never seal. Fortunately that was on the high pressure side so oil leaked and it was easy to figure out what was happening. But you may have a filter that wasn't machined properly and will suck air even if the oring is installed correctly.

/ Milky hydraulic fliud.
Can a suction leak be at a leaky valve My joystick for bucket has a leak I see the floor has fluid on it but that's been oozing for a year