Miller 135 welder, a good start??

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have never welded, but would love to learn. Just saw a like-new Miller 135 with two tanks and a cart for $550. I would prefer a 110 V to start (realize it's limitations) and thought this was a pretty good price. Would this be a good first welder, one to learn some techniques on, and is it a decent price? What would all of this cost new?

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #2  
I have used one of these alot. They are reliable and easy to use when using gas. The price ??? new your looking over a grand for one set up.

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #3  
Check those tanks. Do they have the name of a gas supply company engraved on the ring just below the valve? If so, you probably will have trouble getting them refilled, so the tanks really would have no value at all. Some welding supply companies will even confiscate them (they're rented tanks not customer owned tanks if they have a name on them).

With two customer-owned tanks, that'd be an OK deal, but if they're rented tanks that's not a good deal at all. You can get a new Hobart Handler 140 (practically the same welder) for $450 at Tractor Supply.

edit: and a new Millermatic 140 is $680, with free shipping, at Cyberweld. The 135 isn't made any more I don't think...

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #4  
The company name on the tanks denoting ownership isn't necessarly true. I have 3 tanks with a gas company name on them and I own them all.
I think this is a regional thing, certainly has never been an issue around here where I am.

Normally, at least in my experience, tanks aren't "refilled" anyway. They are exchanged. That kinda stinks when you go in with brand new tanks and they hand back old crummy looking ones...

Note to OP- if you have an Airstar outlet in the upstate they have never given me a problem swapping tanks in Columbia.

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #5  
Yep, I wrote "refilled" but they are exchanged.

You're lucky if your LWS does yours, maybe if you've got paperwork on record showing you've purchased them.

I've got a big CO2 tank, must be over 150 cf, came with my welder and it's about empty. I'll soon find out if I can exhange it without problems, it's got a supply company from out of state on it.

Here's a thread from the Hobart site Weld Talk Message Board and Online Forum - Hobart Welders
with folk's experiences with tank exchanges.

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #6  
I think that is a pretty good price. I got two tanks for my mig welder (one for aluminum and one for other metals) and they were $490. As someone mentioned the current similar Miller Welder sells for around $675, so $550 seems fair, if you can use the tanks. Like the others said, I would want to make sure about the tanks before I bought. I really like Miller welders, compared to the other brands.

You might want to take a welding class locally. Good welding take a lot of practice and having the advice of an experienced welder is priceless.

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #7  
For the money I would get the Hobart 187. Hobart and Miller are basically the same machine owned by the same company. I got mine on sell with a cart for $500 at TSC last year around Thanksgiving. I bought the tank at my local supplier for under $200. I have welded 3 rolls of wire and still on the same tank so unless you are running 2 different mixes there is no need for 2 separate tanks.

Chris

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #8  
Miller is a very reliable welder. As to the size, the 135 will probably do what you need. It will weld up to 1/4" metal with experienced use. I use a 180 and weld 1/2" successfully. A MIG welder makes a new learner look good. Easy to make pretty welds. But unlike the old stick welder, with a MIG welder, pretty isn't necessarily strong. Practice, practice, practice. I've been welding for 40 years and still learn new tricks. Start with butt welds. Weld a bead on one side, then put the pieces in a vise and break them apart. Look closely at the broken weld. You'll learn about penetration and density of the weld. Weld together, break apart and inspect, try a different technique, weld together, break apart. Spend a couple weeks in your shop doing that and you'll become a reliable welder. Remember this!!!! The weld you make may at some point have your life depending on it's reliability and strength!!!!! :eek:

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #9  
^^^ Great Advice!

/ Miller 135 welder, a good start?? #10  
I have a Miller 135. Its been very reliable and a great machine for autobody, however if your planning on doing much fab work with heavier metals, step up to a 220v machine. Yes you can bevel and weld up larger stuff with a smaller machine, and i do, but a larger machine is just "better".

For heavy welding i usually turn to my Miller Thunderbolt Ac/DC stick. i could have bought a larger mig at the start for what i have tied up in 2 machines.

Personally, if i had it to do over, id buy a Miller 252 or 212. Both are excellent machines. You can always turn down the power for the thin stuff, but its much harder to weld above your machines capacity.