miller 175 vs hobart 180

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #11  
I have a MM175 that works just great up to 1/4" mild steel stuff.
I had a HH120 previously that was good also for smaller stuff.
Like Mad said the Hobart has plastic gears.
Since your new into it I would recommend a autodarkening helmet that is comfortable.
Your first job is to build a cart to hold your welder/bottle and accessories.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #12  
I have a MM175 that works just great up to 1/4" mild steel stuff.
I had a HH120 previously that was good also for smaller stuff.
Like Mad said the Hobart has plastic gears.
Since your new into it I would recommend a autodarkening helmet that is comfortable.
Your first job is to build a cart to hold your welder/bottle and accessories.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #13  
I bought a 210 Millermatic a couple months ago. I started out by making some deer stands for this coming deer stand. Next project is to weld up some hooks on the bucket and then a grapple hook on the bucket. That welder was some money very well spent.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #14  
I bought a 210 Millermatic a couple months ago. I started out by making some deer stands for this coming deer stand. Next project is to weld up some hooks on the bucket and then a grapple hook on the bucket. That welder was some money very well spent.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #15  
I bought a HH 180 last year and the drive rollers are metal.
I have been happy with it although it took me a while (still learning)
to get used to mig over stick. I think the infinite voltage control would be very nice, but I am not sure I am sophisticated enough to take advantage of it. The 4 taps on my machine seem to work fine.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #16  
I bought a HH 180 last year and the drive rollers are metal.
I have been happy with it although it took me a while (still learning)
to get used to mig over stick. I think the infinite voltage control would be very nice, but I am not sure I am sophisticated enough to take advantage of it. The 4 taps on my machine seem to work fine.

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180
Thanks for the replies.
My only concerns were the plastic wire feeder wheel and the 4 range voltage selection. Berniep's reply put my situation into perspective. Also, looking at the parts diagram, it looks like it would be fairly easy to replace. I think the hh180 will be a fine machine for me.

Thanks again,
Tim

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180
Thanks for the replies.
My only concerns were the plastic wire feeder wheel and the 4 range voltage selection. Berniep's reply put my situation into perspective. Also, looking at the parts diagram, it looks like it would be fairly easy to replace. I think the hh180 will be a fine machine for me.

Thanks again,
Tim

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #19  
I'll weigh in on this one. I bought the HH 180 about a year and a half ago at TSC. They had a special holiday promotion where you got the welder, cart, a small C-25 bottle, auto dark helmet, gloves, wire, chipping hammer, etc. If I remember right, the price was under $500. The welder has worked great for me. I previously had a Century with infinate settings as opposed to the 4 taps on the Hobart. I have grown to like the taps. I weld sporadically, so when you want to fire up and do something real quick, you can set the tap according to the guide under the lid, and get a decent weld right off the bat. As far as quality, the Hobart is clearly built better than my Century was and I think is comparable to the Miller, and in fact, it has a Miller gun, so no difference there.
The welder has a carry handle on top, but that's a bit of a joke. I'd like to be the man that could latch onto that thing like a suitcase and lug it any distance! There must be quite a bit of metal inside that thing!

/ miller 175 vs hobart 180 #20  
I'll weigh in on this one. I bought the HH 180 about a year and a half ago at TSC. They had a special holiday promotion where you got the welder, cart, a small C-25 bottle, auto dark helmet, gloves, wire, chipping hammer, etc. If I remember right, the price was under $500. The welder has worked great for me. I previously had a Century with infinate settings as opposed to the 4 taps on the Hobart. I have grown to like the taps. I weld sporadically, so when you want to fire up and do something real quick, you can set the tap according to the guide under the lid, and get a decent weld right off the bat. As far as quality, the Hobart is clearly built better than my Century was and I think is comparable to the Miller, and in fact, it has a Miller gun, so no difference there.
The welder has a carry handle on top, but that's a bit of a joke. I'd like to be the man that could latch onto that thing like a suitcase and lug it any distance! There must be quite a bit of metal inside that thing!