Milling a fallen oak tree

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Ok, so it's not yet on the ground.

Near me is an Oak tree...I think it's red (in case that matters). It probably has 30/40 feet of arrow straight trunk and is (guessing) between 20/24 inches diameter almost from the ground up 30/40 feet. It has a really nice looking main section.

Anyway, it's slowly uprooting and will be falling over. I hate to see it rot away... will at worst, section it so my wife's cousin can make firewood from it (I don't have wood burner so firewood is of no use to me)

However... that straight trunk looks interesting...

I was daydreaming about it and thought an Alaskan Saw mill could rip up some slabs. Not sure for what purpose though...

Mantle? Table top? (maybe a bar instead of dining room)

If I end up doing something like that, this is not dried wood. Would it be ok to rip it into "slabs" and let those dry a bit or should the logs dry or just cut it and let whatever happens, happen.... and "sell" it as 'rustic'?

With a log of those approximate dimensions (say, 30' x 22" clean with no knots) what are some opportunities for it? Oak beam??

I've got the means to lug it around with the backhoe so I can section it and carry it to my driveway (or the field) and have at it.

Side note, the wife never met a piece of wood that she didn't want to paint so a nice piece of clear oak has no value in my house (for me it would but she'll find some way to paint over it)

I'd be looking to see if I could do something to it for someone else.

(or, it might just end up as firewood!)

Thoughts?

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #2  
Buy the "saw mill", have fun and post the progress!

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #3  
Beam machine is inexpensive and will do nicely for one log.

Cut the log up into boards as soon as possible. Stack & sticker the boards and seal the ends. Keep rain off of the boards.

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #4  
Warning -
Alaskan saw mills can be DANGEROUS!!

I had a nice simple Stihl 021 that I used for very small tree trimming etc. Then I won a JS62 at arborist site

attachment.php

and bought an Alaskan Mark III and a 28" bar.

This led to my first Stihl MS660 and stacks of lumber.

attachment.php

Which lead to making more stacks of lumber with a sawmill

attachment.php

and an even bigger saw
attachment.php

I tell you, milling trees can be addictive!

Attachments

• jdcs62800x600.jpg
    jdcs62800x600.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 826
  • stihl42inch8x6.jpg
    stihl42inch8x6.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 808
  • 088_just-bought.JPG
    088_just-bought.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 800
  • 8x6SAM_0378.jpg
    8x6SAM_0378.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 827
   / Milling a fallen oak tree #5  
I'd be inclined to haul it to the mill and trade it for a check. But until it's on the ground you won't know what you have.

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #7  
Ok, so it's not yet on the ground.

Near me is an Oak tree...I think it's red (in case that matters). It probably has 30/40 feet of arrow straight trunk and is (guessing) between 20/24 inches diameter almost from the ground up 30/40 feet. It has a really nice looking main section.

Anyway, it's slowly uprooting and will be falling over. I hate to see it rot away... will at worst, section it so my wife's cousin can make firewood from it (I don't have wood burner so firewood is of no use to me)

However... that straight trunk looks interesting...

I was daydreaming about it and thought an Alaskan Saw mill could rip up some slabs.
Not sure for what purpose though...

Mantle? Table top? (maybe a bar instead of dining room)

If I end up doing something like that, this is not dried wood. Would it be ok to rip it into "slabs" and let those dry a bit or should the logs dry or just cut it and let whatever happens, happen.... and "sell" it as 'rustic'?

With a log of those approximate dimensions (say, 30' x 22" clean with no knots) what are some opportunities for it? Oak beam??

I've got the means to lug it around with the backhoe so I can section it and carry it to my driveway (or the field) and have at it.<snip>

that straight trunk looks interesting...

DANGER DANGER

and from stuckmotors thread:
I have a the mini-mill too, I like it even better than the MK III. Although i didn't cut a lot of logs with either before i decided to just break down and buy a bandsaw mill.

The beam machine will do well for 1 log maybe AFTER YOU ARE EXPERIENCED WITH IT, heck there are numerous videos of people cutting halfway decent lumber freehand. But it takes a learning curve.
A Mark III, or the new version Mark IV, will probably work right off and allow you to make 1" to 4" slabs.

However when I tackle projects I always get back to cost.

A mini-mill costs about $125, for 20" plus wood you'll need a 60 CC saw to do it slow.
A 24" Alaskan Mark IV costs about $250 20" plus wood you'll need a 60 CC saw with a 26" bar to do it slow. I did with a 62CC saw and a 28" bar.
You get into larger wood, you need more saw power, my Stihl 660's pull a 42" bar through 30+ inches of hardwood with ease.
A Harbor Freight bandsaw mill can often be bought new for $1800. No other saw needed. There is a wide variety of "name brand" sawmills that now start at about $4,000.

So you pays your money, you takes your choice.

If you only have 1 tree and do not envision more you might try putting an ad in CL offering the log for some of the wood. MOST sawmills don't like yard trees because embedded metal costs $$$. It's not quite so bad with CSM.

If you've got a couple of trees and a 60 CC saw a mini-mill might be the way to go.

More trees, step up to a Mark IV and more saw.

Lot's more trees more saw, a Mark IV and a sawmill.

I've now got about 400 acres of trees and for the trees to big for my Woodmizer I plan on making cants using my Mark III's and 660's or 088.
/edit 99.9% of them will be clear cut, I didn't mean to imply I was going to cut all of them myself!

And
With a log of those approximate dimensions (say, 30' x 22" clean with no knots) what are some opportunities for it?
The opportunities are endless. Good solid wood I'd go with longest thickest you could see a need for. For me I'm needing 17' x 2" x 6" for a trailer deck and I've got the tree picked out.

Last edited:
   / Milling a fallen oak tree #8  
Here is my HF mill. I saw them on sale recently for $1700. that is plus shipping.
I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 rating and my only complain is the track that comes with it will only cut an 8' + board.
I made an extension so I can cut 16'.
Learning curve isn't bad and you can find all info you need on Forestry Forum.

Attachments

• SAW MILL 050.jpg
    SAW MILL 050.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 197
  • SAW MILL 044.jpg
    SAW MILL 044.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 181
   / Milling a fallen oak tree
Thanks for the input...

I have a Stihl 044, 20" bar however, I'm game to buy a longer one (and realize I'd probably have to)

Would that be enough oomph?

/ Milling a fallen oak tree #10  
Far be it for me to NOT spend a fellow TBNers money, but... If you are talking one tree, find a local guy with a band mill. Then help him out doing it and learn a bit. Less chance of screwing up the one and only log you have, you learn some, and you can decide after that if it is something you want to get into. You can usually find contacts via CL, the local chainsaw shops, or even the band mill manufacturers (they keep lists of guys around the country who will do it, typically on the side).