Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #22  
Much of the newer ag equipment for the last 20 years has had manifolded grease fittings and grease tubes.
You learn from experience and getting under it to work on it if it's been getting enough or too much,
some will get 5 pumps some 10 and a few manifolds even have a guideline number to start with.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners
some will get 5 pumps some 10 and a few manifolds even have a guideline number
For that to be meaningful (and I ain't sayin' it ain't) the "pump" would have to be an industry standard across all grease guns.
Now, this may be exactly the case or, it may not - - I have no clue.
I found this , herehttps://advancedenginetech.com/blog/2017/05/22/grease-gun-basics/ :
"The manual grease gun is the most commonly used type of gun. It supplies about 1.28 grams of grease for each pump."
The word "about" does not fill me with confidence. Does the author know what he's talking about or not?

I found this statement here: https://advancedenginetech.com/blog/2017/06/19/grease-gun-differences/
"Grease guns do vary in the amount of grease that is pumped per stroke. This variance can range from one to three grams of lubrication – maybe higher."

So no one has a clue? Well, those guys don't. Great.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #24  
Even if it doesn't give the actual count of pumps, it's a good relative indication.

For the most part, when I'm lubing things that get it frequently, like the loader, I don't need to see the joint to know how much grease to give it.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #25  
For that to be meaningful (and I ain't sayin' it ain't) the "pump" would have to be an industry standard across all grease guns.
Now, this may be exactly the case or, it may not - - I have no clue.
I found this , herehttps://advancedenginetech.com/blog/2017/05/22/grease-gun-basics/ :
"The manual grease gun is the most commonly used type of gun. It supplies about 1.28 grams of grease for each pump."
The word "about" does not fill me with confidence. Does the author know what he's talking about or not?

I found this statement here: https://advancedenginetech.com/blog/2017/06/19/grease-gun-differences/
"Grease guns do vary in the amount of grease that is pumped per stroke. This variance can range from one to three grams of lubrication – maybe higher."

So no one has a clue? Well, those guys don't. Great.
It sounds like their scientifically based “about” guestimation is based off whether the operator has ever used a grease gun, does it have any grease in it, does he know how to remove the old tube (if the style he’s using even accepts tubes), install new grease and purge air (as needed) from the device being used.
Based off a desk jockeys studies - how many times does he have to pump the handle before realizing that nothing is coming out? You then take the maximum amount supplied per pump and divide that by the number of tries it took before he gave up and asked for help. The sum will equal “about” 1.28 grams per pump.

In all seriousness, I’m glad this topic was brought up. I was on the fence about which one to buy. I own plenty of both M12 and M18 tools, so neither option would require me to purchase a spare battery. Thanks to the OP and for everyone’s responses.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #26  
I have both 12 in work where all the machinery is ss not in the weather. 18 home where the stuff works in the dirt rust collects. The 18 will push grease through were the 12 won't. 🍻
I as well have both the 12 and the 18. I maintain 10 machines, three trailers and 2 trucks. I first got the 12 vt and thought it was good. Then the 18 came out I was out I was not sure I needed a second cordless grease gun. I was at Empire Farm Day and was talking to the Milwaukee rep. about the new 18 vt gun he convinced me to try it. It was on a show special price and he said would throw in an extra battery. So I really bought it for the extra battery. I got it home and once I figured out all the neat new futures I love the 18 vt and hardly ever use the 12 vt.

The features/improvement the 12 vt do not have I like a lot are the two speed setting the low setting pushes a lot of grease quickly. The slower speed puts out less grease but high pressure. The high pressure is good enough I have not had to bring out my grease buster device that injects oil into the joint to clean out the joint. The second feature I like it the wheal that controls how much grease is pumped out when you pull the trigger. It shuts the gun down when you reach the preset limit. It prevents me for over greasing sealed bearings. You also have a clicking sound to tell you it is pumping grease so when the sound stops you know you have to change the tube. You had an LED light that can be handy when you are tying to find a fitting. The hose is also much longer which make it easier to use.

The down side to the 18 vt it heavier and cost more. Its design seem easire to hold and use. (That is subjective on my pat)

So I would say 18vt is the beater choice. Thanks John

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #27  
I'm not sure what advantage a variable speed trigger is in real life. I don't think I've ever turned my Milwaukee off of the high speed setting. I feature I do use a lot is the preset grease counter. Pull the trigger and it will keep pumping shots up to the number set on the dial. Release the trigger and pull again, and it will coun tup to the same number of shots.

Most of the time when I'm greasing something like the bushings on my tractors loader or similar, I leave the counter set on 3 or 4. I crank the setting way up for high-volume greasing, or lock in on continuous greasing.
Although I think the Milwaukee is a better grease gun, like Tinhack I use a Dewalt because thats what most of my other cordless tools & batteries are. For me the variable speed trigger is handy when greasing U joints on my eighteen wheeler. Pushing the grease in too fast usually results in grease exiting out the opposite zerk before it exits the beating cups. Replacing the zerks is a short term fix & even with the vst Ive learned just to trigger, pause, trigger pause, etc. Problem was worse with my early model 12 volt Milwaukee which had no vst.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #28  
Project Farm covered this topic for some models:

I got the M12. Nothing fancy about it. It just pumps grease.

/ Milwaukee cordless Grease gun owners #30  
Although I think the Milwaukee is a better grease gun, like Tinhack I use a Dewalt because thats what most of my other cordless tools & batteries are. For me the variable speed trigger is handy when greasing U joints on my eighteen wheeler. Pushing the grease in too fast usually results in grease exiting out the opposite zerk before it exits the beating cups. Replacing the zerks is a short term fix & even with the vst Ive learned just to trigger, pause, trigger pause, etc. Problem was worse with my early model 12 volt Milwaukee which had no vst.
You can accomplish the same thing by just setting the pulse counter to a very low number. I occasionally set it to do just 2 clicks, then I just trigger, pause, trigger, pause until I'm where I need to be. I could switch down to the lower speed, if I needed even more control.