Mini Dozer - Project near complete

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete
I have less than an hour on the unit so the bugs are still being worked out. The track design was borrowed from an earlier posting so it just took lots and lots of time to cut, drill, weld, weld, weld the track together.

Each motor/track is independent (forward and reverse and speed) of each other so it will turn right around or you can run one track faster than the other for a slow turn. The tracks do make a mess in my gravel driveway. Currently the rear is heavier than the front but after the drive system bugs are worked out I plan on building a front blade which hopefully will help improve the balance.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #12  
I have one chain driven vehicle... it's a 7 hp 1905 Oldsmobile and the drive chain is rather massive as are the sprockets... I think the combination allows for more and deeper contact... and it's only 7 horsepower.

Good move on independent track control... there are times I wish my Cat was set-up this way.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #14  
Love your tracks, awesome job.

Redo your motor to drive axle framing thickness by 2. Gota be some major flex going on under there.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #16  
what did you use for the track chain? Pitch and length? What size are your drive sprockets and where did you get them? thanks

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete
The chain is 100 pitch and each side is 10ft in length. The just watched ebay for a good price. The track sprockets as well as the hydraulic pump/control and most of the other sprockets came from Surplus Center. The track sprockets (OD around 9 inches) were ones with an odd hub (2517 taper hub) so it took awhile to find the hubs at a fair price. Surplus center doesn't have any more of these sprockets.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #18  
Awesome mini dozer build! :cool: I am super impressed. Very "simple" but clever and effective design. No doubt it's got to be a blast to drive around. I would have loved to seen the do-do eating grin :D on your face during the first test drive. I know I had a hard time keeping a straight face first time on my crawler. Perhaps consider adding a few mini track rollers between the large front and rear sprockets? 3 or so on the bottom and one in the center at the top. Doing that would reduce strain / tension on the tracks when crawling over uneven surfaces such as rocks, mounds and valleys and overall track tension could be reduced without sacrificing the chance of the track chain coming off. Just an idea to kick around and something to consider for the future.

Your Definitely going to have to add a blade up front and or even a rake in the back to "cover up your tracks" hehehe

I'll take two!

Larry

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #19  
You are going to have to find a way to really stiffen things up if you want to stop that chain from coming off. My thought would be one of a couple of approaches and there are much better engineers on here than me.

First, don't fight the tension fight and give some slack to the chain, then use a spring tensioner to keep the chain taught enough. Up at the drive motors you could put chain guides, this way, whether spinning forward or back the chain could not skip off the sprocket. You'd need to do something similar on the drive sprocket at the track.

I think you have two alternatives if you are going with chain drive, A - Have everything so stiff that the sprockets stay aligned no matter what you are pushing, pulling nor how twisted up you have the machine.

Or B - Provide for movement.

Another option, which may be a little more foregiving would be belt drive, deep V don't slip for nothing (or even two), but a lot easier, in my opinion, to keep on the pulleys (with guides).

Awsome build, I bet you are as good at welding as you've ever been.

Joel

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #20  
I am impressed. What a great project and beautifully done. I love the tracks.