Mini Ex angle blade

/ Mini Ex angle blade
Some places sell rippers with teeth like coarse saw blades. Would they be any better than a regular ripper in breaking roots around a stump? Is there an actual sawing motion pulling the ripper though roots?

/ Mini Ex angle blade #12  
I guess there could be if you wiggle the levers correctly .

/ Mini Ex angle blade #13  
When I got my KX121 I wheeled and dealed with them to throw in the 12" bucket, they manipulated the numbers by dropping the price on the excavator to add the discounted bucket to make it all come out to the original price. I would try that at the time of your sale. It is hard to come back and get a good deal later. I switch back and forth between the 24" and the 12" all the time. It is so worth it. I wish I had gotten a clean out bucket at that time. Now it is hard for me to justify a thousand bucks for one.

/ Mini Ex angle blade #14  
I would spend the $2500 on a ripper and ditching/clean out bucket vs the angle blade. I would also measure the width of the thumb to see how narrow a bucket you could use (for me that's 16-18") and get that also. I bet the cost would be pretty close and those items will be much more useful than the angle blade IMHO. (I did just that!)

IMG_1544.JPG

/ Mini Ex angle blade
Thanks for all the good advice. They're going to give me a price break on the ripper so I'll go ahead and get that. Stump removal is my main objective right now. I think I will look for a 36" bucket later on if I need a bigger bucket. Hopefully I can find a used one.

What is a clean out bucket and what is it for? Thanks.

/ Mini Ex angle blade #16  
A cleanout bucket is just a (usually) toothless bucket, as wide as the particular machine can handle - used for cleaning out ditches -

Do you have any links/pics of the "saw blade" ripper? That's on my list of "tuits" for my 580B, and for just what you intend to use it for - somebody else might have a better way than what I thought of. If so, please post... Steve

/ Mini Ex angle blade
A cleanout bucket is just a (usually) toothless bucket, as wide as the particular machine can handle - used for cleaning out ditches -

Do you have any links/pics of the "saw blade" ripper? That's on my list of "tuits" for my 580B, and for just what you intend to use it for - somebody else might have a better way than what I thought of. If so, please post... Steve

Thanks! I guess I won't need one of those buckets.

Here's a couple of links:

SABRE TOOTH STUMP & ROOT RIPPERS

root_ripper

/ Mini Ex angle blade #18  
Thanks, the first link isn't quite what I'm looking for and I had the second one already - that's more what I'm envisioning, except I'll probably do the inside edge of the ripper smooth to avoid stress cracks, then ADD teeth out of AR plate "dominoes" with the cutting edge beveled with plasma for more aggressive teeth than just square cut - the "dominoes" will be overlapped maybe 3/4" so each "tooth" sticks up, teeth about 1/4" wider on EACH SIDE than the body of the ripper.

Otherwise very similar to the second link, but DIY cost should run maybe $200-250.

Thinking when I build my thumb I may make extension "wings" on it for a wider grip when using it with the single ripper, so I can have better control when moving/stacking entire trees with just the ripper and thumb... Steve