Comparison Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi?

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #1  

reinhs

Tractor
Kubota
Hi All,
I have a farm that needs all sorts of things dug and dirt moved. I've been agonizing over several used mini-excavators that fit the bill. I'm looking at the Kubota KX91-3 and KX121-3, and the Takeuchi TB235 and TB138FR. These are all great machines. I have support for both in my area. I have several pieces of Kubota gear but am not locked into the brand.

Question is... if they were all the same price, what's the best to buy? Are there any model gotchas that only experience can reveal? As far as I can tell the KX91 and KX121 are just as nice with the 121 being higher capacity. Any reason I'd want a 91 instead? The TB235 looks very similar in performance to the 138. I don't need the tight arm space performance of the 138 (neat trick though) but it has more bucket/arm digging power than the 235. Is there any reason to go with a 235 over a 138 if the price was the same?

How about the two brands? Say the KX121 beat the KX91 and the TB138 beat the TB235. What should I go with, the KX121 over the TB138 or vice versa?

Anybody who could contribute on any of these machines... I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I'd love and be happy with any of them, but I can only pick one :) Ease of use? Maintenance? Upkeep? Any input is appreciated.
Many thanks,
Senter

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #2  
used machines... can go all over the place. and you are to focus on new specs. go out and test drive each machine. then make a choice.

--tread on tracks/tires can make huge difference (can be rather pricey to replace)
--how leaky is the machine? older used machines more likely have leaks here and there,
--how good are the joints on the machines were everything connects to one another. a heavy used machine going to have a slot of slop in pins and connections.
--run machine for 30 minutes test driving machine, then raise up all hydrualics up into air and fully extended. and shut off machine, see if anything drops quickly.
--with machine on get something heavy in bucket and see if it drops after it warms up.
--check how well machine has been greased, is there actual grease on machine that is crummy? might be good sign it been greased and taken care of.

again spec's i could care less about, and more about how machine looks and runs.
=========
if you were buying new it would be a different story.

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi?
Hi there Ryan,
That's great input for buying in general, and I appreciate it. Wish I'd run into you before I bought my first used Kubota tractor! Replaced a lot of hoses in that first year...

I totally get what you're saying and I've seen the massive overlap in prices on these machines depending on a lot of criteria. There are way to many variables when considering condition, current level of maintenance, hours on machine... That's what I was trying to get around when I said assume they were all the same price. They certainly won't be... I was trying to get a comparison of the base machines. I guess a better way of saying it would be "If buying new and money wasn't an issue" or "If someone gave you one of these as a gift..."

It's easy to say "well go the biggest and most powerful if money doesn't matter" but in reality that one might be the hardest machine to use or the most unreliable, or hardest to maintain... or... who knows.

So, thanks for the buying tips. I hadn't thought of some of those tests yet. I've learned a lot by owning tractors but this will be my first excavator I've bought and they are a bit of a different animal.
I appreciate the input,
Senter

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #4  
I've been on a similar quest for the last year, nothing yet

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #5  
I've had people with multiple excavators as well as dozers tell me they don't need the 6 way blade on the 121 Kubota because of the dozers. After they got a 121 you can't sell them anything less! They demand it!

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #6  
I sell Kubota, and Tak is the only one I feel is really in Kubota's league. Your looking at the top two in my opinion.

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi?
Thanks Guys, that's good input. It feels goofy trying to scrutinize these four machines honestly, but like I said, there's only money to buy one of them so I'm looking to those with lots of hours in the actual seats. Many thanks and more input welcome,
Senter

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #8  
My advice would be get the bigger machine from either brand. Whichever is in better shape. Check for play in the pins. Excessive play where the boom meets the chassis is a good indication that the machine has been used very roughly. High impact use puts alot of where on this joint and others. If you put the bucket on the ground and push down the front of the machine should respond and lift as you exert downward pressure if there is a lot of slop in that joint you will notice it as you try and lift the machine by putting downward pressure on the bucket.
I don't think you can go wrong with either Kubota or Tak so long as the machines are in good condition for their hours.

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #9  
Any luck?

/ Mini-Excavator Kubota/Takeuchi? #10  
I bought a used Takeuchi TB135 2 years ago, I was comparing stats on different machines and pound for pound the Takeuchi was superior. I have had great service with the TAk.
John