Mini-Excavator questions???

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #11  
apologize for the late reply, but you've received a bunch of good responses to date. I (we, our small company) was one of the very early adoptors of the "mini" excavators...back in the days when they were looked upon as "toys" by the "real" excavator operators.
That most of those naysayers are now users, is just "come-up-enz" <g>.
Anyway....I can't agree more with those that are advising that rubber tracks should only be considered if your primary (and ONLY) consideration is minimizing damage to paved surfaces (for some operators, in some circumstances, that consideration is primary and the customer is willing to pay the freight)....other than that - rubber is a losing proposition for all the reasons that have been previously stated.
Vis-a-vis the "throwing steel tacks" issue....I'd come down on the side of yes, it CAN happen....but.....99% of the time it's either operator error or lack of preventive maintenance....the other 1% (or, maybe it's 5%, 10%) it's just "being in the wrong place at the wrong time...it CAN happen, sometimes....cost of doing business..........but, overall, it's a drop in the bucket compared to longevity costs of rubber.
Same logic works with ground damage...as others have so eloquently stated.....all else being equal (ground conditions, etc), a competent operator will cause less damage with steel tracks in almost every case (except pavement).
Re the "angled blade", I can't comment analytically since our Kubota mini (sorry, don't remember the exact mod #) was pre-angle blade days...but did have a straight blade.
What I can comment on is how often I said to myself...."...jeez, why didn't they put a put a tilt cylinder on here?".....a mini without a blade is, in MNSHO, a waste.......a blade on a mini without tilt even more so.
Mini Ex's, in the right situation, and beyond the macho attitudes of the "bigger is always better" crowd - are amazing machines....add a tilt blade, steel tracks (wide tracks if the situation dictates) and you've got a machine that can go in (through a small gate), get the job done, AND leave a mighty small footprint.........
......that might just be the reason you're seeing more and more of the "naysayers" of a few years ago, now sending out those 35 ton goosenecks with only a "mini" with their name on the side, onboard

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #12  
Wecome Deansdad glad to see another excavator owner on board. I look forward to your point of view on construction/all topics.

/ Mini-Excavator questions???
I ended up renting the KX121-3 with steel tracks again. I have used it about 25 hrs mostly stumping and rough grading. I must say the steel tracks are a great peice of mind. I don't have to worry about what I'm driving over. They are a bit noisy and rough but well work the piece of mind. Just wish the rental company had a cab with a/c for rent /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Thanks again.

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #14  
Nobull, On your excavator do you have a top roller or does it have the slide bar since it came with rubber tracks. My Grey Market PC 50 uuKomatsu. Its a 13000 pound excavator. It has rubber and the top slide bar instead of a roller. I need some tracks as Ive already had a lug pull out of the track. I put a bolt through the cleat bar and the lug on the track. I can get a set of steel tracks rails,pads and bolts for 3800 from Komatsu . My Grey dealer can get rubbers for 3600. Ive gt a friend with the same machine but he left the slide bar on it. I dont like it as it has worn down the bushing alot more than the sprocket. I may get a pair of smaller Berco rollers to mount on the top. SOme of the older pc 50's came like this.

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #15  
On my excavator there is three of 040 on the bottom and one 120 on the top. Don't know if you can tell but the bottom ones have a lip on each side and the top one is flat.

Attachments

• 802810-CCF00172006_00001 (Small).jpg
    802810-CCF00172006_00001 (Small).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 229
   / Mini-Excavator questions??? #16  
When I switched from rubber to steel all they had to do was add two of #090 and 110 to each side just as wear plates and guides. The only other thing that was done was to release a bit of pressure on the spring on the idlers.

Attachments

• 802813-CCF00172006_00000 (Small).jpg
    802813-CCF00172006_00000 (Small).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 194
   / Mini-Excavator questions??? #17  
sorry to argue but I have had rubber tracks on two different mini's both kobelco in the last 7 years yes I did have to replace a set of rubber track at around 2800hr. That being said no I would not take it into my stone pit to work or some other places but much better on pavement or even most dirt. Not mud though everything is a trade off. As far as cost to replace rubber and steel are about the same price. I know I have worked for a dealer for the last 33 years

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #18  
Ive been an operator and mechanic for a few years myself I like the steel tracks in the part where at 2800 hours I can have the pins and bushings turned. I work alot in loose sand and in alot of rubble and sharp washed gravel at the lake. Im gonna get the clip on trackpad cavers with mine. I have a good friend with a 307 on steel with the neoprene ronded pads He does alot of golfcourse work and just slides on the stuff in a turn.

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #19  
No argument needed Dirthog /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I only express my opinion and experience and would not argue about your results. I know a few people in the rental business as well as the construction industry and there is honestly a mixed opinion. A lot of people like them, and a lot hate them. Bottom line to me is steel "usually" doesn't have issues till you have at least a couple thousand hours. The rubber tracks just take one slip on the wrong surface and couple thousand gone. The steel in my opinion can take a little more use/abuse with out the potential cost of replacement. In my case I do some woods work as well as rocky surfaces and could not afford to take the chance. Anyhow look forward to your opinions, as 33 years working for a dealer is a wealth of knowledge. There isn't a lot of people with your experience that post here so try to post more often /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Mini-Excavator questions??? #20  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Im gonna get the clip on trackpad cavers with mine. I have a good friend with a 307 on steel with the neoprene ronded pads He does alot of golfcourse work and just slides on the stuff in a turn. )</font>

I am curious about the trackpads covers. I haven't seen them locally and wondered what they were worth and type required. My thought would be they would be smooth on grass but would slide pretty easy on wet surfaces?