Minimum HP for Flail Mowers

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers
Check out Tony's Tractor adventure on youtube, he has a TYM T25 that he uses a ditch flail mower, It seems to work rather well if you get the correct size.
Thanks, great video! Clearly the speed this thing will cut at will compensate for anything you give up in width. Love it!

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #22  
I have a ditch bank mower on my McCormick ct 41, 36 pto hp. I think as stated before, it's tractor weight more than hp. I can plug the mower and smoke the belt before the tractor bogs, but if I went wider, I think it would be too heavy on the side of the tractor. I know if I get on much of a side hill it feels light in the seat. I think mine is around a 5 foot width.

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers
I have a ditch bank mower on my McCormick ct 41, 36 pto hp. I think as stated before, it's tractor weight more than hp. I can plug the mower and smoke the belt before the tractor bogs, but if I went wider, I think it would be too heavy on the side of the tractor. I know if I get on much of a side hill it feels light in the seat. I think mine is around a 5 foot width.
I think I've settled on the Titan57".
  • The Titan is 617 lb. All the other models in standard duty are 650-750 lbs
    • I realize lighter isn't necessarily better when it comes to equipment... that weight is coming from somewhere. But every decision is a series of tradeoffs (unless you're Elon Musk).
    • My Branson dealer felt that amount of weight would be no problem at all... The tractor with loader is 4,000 lb and I have another 600 lb in the tires.
  • I've watched several You Tube videos using the Tiitan machine, including mulching over 3" limbs. The performance looks good.
  • The reviews are generally good.
  • There are less expensive models, but again, that cost savings also has to come from somewhere. $1,000.00 plus cheaper? Hmmm...
    • Those are companies that are fairly unheard of. They may have a great mower but where will they be in a year or two when I need parts?
  • Titan has it in stock!
  • And... It's RED... gotta be honest. Not orange. Not yellow and green. Red!

Last edited:
   / Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #24  
OK... So I've got a question since there are some ditch bank owners here... While I'd love one, that's not this year, or next, but I do like to dream...

When I look at these units, the hydraulic cylinders that control the tilt of the head all appear to have locking valves on them so the cylinder can't move, unless there is pressure in the system. It's possible of course, I'm interpreting the photos wrong, but I don't think so... So the question is, how do you get the head to follow the changes in angle of the ditch/bank? It'll float vertically on the 3 point, but I would think the head wouldn't be able to tilt, even if the remote is set to float.

This is of course just based on the pretty photos of the marketing websites... I did look at the parts breakout for the Titan just mentioned, and the line drawing wouldn't seem to indicate a locking cylinder, though it's in the photos...

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #25  
OK... So I've got a question since there are some ditch bank owners here... While I'd love one, that's not this year, or next, but I do like to dream...

When I look at these units, the hydraulic cylinders that control the tilt of the head all appear to have locking valves on them so the cylinder can't move, unless there is pressure in the system. It's possible of course, I'm interpreting the photos wrong, but I don't think so... So the question is, how do you get the head to follow the changes in angle of the ditch/bank? It'll float vertically on the 3 point, but I would think the head wouldn't be able to tilt, even if the remote is set to float.

This is of course just based on the pretty photos of the marketing websites... I did look at the parts breakout for the Titan just mentioned, and the line drawing wouldn't seem to indicate a locking cylinder, though it's in the photos...

Yes it is best to allow the head to float. Some people just adjust the angle manually but I do not see how.

You would want at least 1 rear remote valve that has float.

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #26  
I THINK he is saying that most of the cylinders he sees have check valves that don't allow the cylinders to move once they are set so if that's the case float wouldn't be of any use. Mine doesn't have the check valves so it's no issue. My old Hardee cutter also is suspended on a chain so it is in "float" all the time.

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #27  
Before you spend your money contact a Del Morino Dealer and a Maschio
dealer and talk to them about their boom mounted flail mowers.

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #28  
I THINK he is saying that most of the cylinders he sees have check valves that don't allow the cylinders to move once they are set so if that's the case float wouldn't be of any use. Mine doesn't have the check valves so it's no issue. My old Hardee cutter also is suspended on a chain so it is in "float" all the time.
Yep... This is from the Titan site. That sure looks like a check valve cylinder to me. I've seen that in others while just casually browsing.
View attachment 746512

/ Minimum HP for Flail Mowers #29  
Have you considered a pitmanless sickle bar?