Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I have a 12 x 10 deck that I want to build a slant style roof. The roof will start from the patio door and end at the front of the deck. I was going to frame a roof and use ribbed style metal roof for the cover. What is the minimum pitch a ribbed metal roof can be? Since this is just a porch cover, I don't think code comes into play.

Here is a picture of the partially finished deck. The roof frame would attach to the wall above the door and right below the overhang. The overhang sticks out about 18". I can't extend it from the facia board of the overhang since the 2 roof lines meet there and create a valley. I only have about 1 foot to drop from the wall to the front of the porch. Any lower and it will be too low in the front.

I could easily get away with a 1/2"/12 pitch, but is that too low of a pitch for a metal roof? The manufacture recommends a minimum of 3/12, but this is just a patio roof.

Deck.JPG

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #2  
If you never get snow then you could try such a low slope. If you ever get a foot of snow or more in a week, having a roof that can shed snow may be a good idea.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #3  
For what you're doing, you'll likely be ok. Considering something very similar on our patio, wife and I were talking about it yesterday.

The mfg recommendation of 3/12 pitch has to do with warrenty, you'll loose it at that shallow pitch. The concern I would have is snow load, make sure your rafters are up to the task.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #4  
Insurance might not cover damage or injury if you dont meet mfg specs.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #5  
it's NOT just a patio roof, it's a place where people can get killed if not done properly!..:shocked:

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #6  
2 1/2 on 12 is what most manufactures recommend . If it were me (i'm in the roofing business) I would use a versa rib panel this is just like the standard rib panel except the top of the rib is flat without striations . use a 2" long life zac screw and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. You will likely never have an issue with leaks .

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof
We don't get much snow. I'm in eastern pa. Once is a blue moon, we may get 6" at once. I would just need to pull it off. I was looking at buying a gazebo, but the roofs of those gazebos slant all 4 ways, so when it rains, it would come down by my door. My concern more is water leaks at such a low pitch, not that it would hurt anything, but I want to be able to sit on the porch while it is raining and not have the water drips down.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #8  
I am totally confused what you are asking- it sounds like you are looking for some to validate a contrarian decision. The manufacturer says 3/12.....

What is the roof for? Just a sun shade or is it waterproof cover like the house? If it’s just a sun shade and the structure can handle the snow in PA and leaking maybe the manufacturer has a different spec.

I’d be almost as concerned with your connection or detail with the existing roof lines. Between two sheds and the valley I’d spend some time making sure that was right. Tie into the building and do a proper flat roof with a membrane or don’t attach it to the building and run the metal for a sun shade.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof
It's a sun shade type structure. The one framed end of the sun shade will mount against the wall above the door and the front of the sun shade will mount at the front of the porch and rest on 4x4 post that I mount on the front of the deck. I will be framing the roof with 2x6 with 24" center, then put strapping horizontally so I can mount the metal roof panels.

Something like this but it will mount on the house side under the overhang instead of on the facia board.

Slant.JPG