Minimum pto shaft engagement

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement #1  

Stomper

Gold Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L2501
I am using my quick hitch with my 3ph blower simply for ease of hook up and unhooking. I dont keep the blower on all the time so the QH makes it much more enjoyable for hooking up. Problem is now my pto is extended more. I took a measurement and the pto halves are engaged 5 inches into each other when the blower is resting on the ground. What is a safe minimum engagement.

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement #3  
How much does the engagement change between lowered and raised?

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement #4  
   / Minimum pto shaft engagement #5  
Another option is a PTO SHAFT extender:

71E0OCybXUL._SX425_.jpg

271033.jpg

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement #6  
My Wallenstein chipper owners manual only speaks of shortening a pto shaft. My drive shaft is 24" long. My overlap is 3" less at 21" of overlap when the drive shaft is dead level. The minimum overlap(at fully raised or lowered) is right around 19". At 21" of overlap my driveshaft is 3" from bottoming out.I've always heard the recommended overlap should be, at least, 1/3 the total shaft length. 24" shaft - 8" overlap and so on.However - research shows one thing is a constant. There is no hard fast rule.Everybody agree on this- the more hp/torque delivered thru the pto shaft - the greater need for more overlap- 5" seems to be the absolute minimum overlap universally accepted- measure twice, cut once, if the shaft must be shortened. Cut an equal amount off each shaft if shortening- new tubes are the best solution to a shaft that is too short Next would be Xfaxmans recommendation for shaft extenders

You could always remove the quick hitch if you felt more overlap was required. Cheap solution.

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement #7  
My Wallenstein chipper owners manual only speaks of shortening a pto shaft. My drive shaft is 24" long. My overlap is 3" less at 21" of overlap when the drive shaft is dead level. The minimum overlap(at fully raised or lowered) is right around 19". At 21" of overlap my driveshaft is 3" from bottoming out.I've always heard the recommended overlap should be, at least, 1/3 the total shaft length. 24" shaft - 8" overlap and so on.However - research shows one thing is a constant. There is no hard fast rule.Everybody agree on this- the more hp/torque delivered thru the pto shaft - the greater need for more overlap- 5" seems to be the absolute minimum overlap universally accepted- measure twice, cut once, if the shaft must be shortened. Cut an equal amount off each shaft if shortening- new tubes are the best solution to a shaft that is too short Next would be Xfaxmans recommendation for shaft extenders

You could always remove the quick hitch if you felt more overlap was required. Cheap solution.

Good info here.

/ Minimum pto shaft engagement
   / Minimum pto shaft engagement #10  
Correct.