Minimum time to have tractor run?

/ Minimum time to have tractor run?
Well you should take care of yourself and strive to live another 153 years!

The bad part is this tractor is good for more than 6k hours lol

I'm not fully convinced a salad will get me to see this tractor die before I do.

With HST and tier IV, anything under 2K RPM while moving is doing more harm then good, IMO. Not making enough heat for the DPF to get going and strangling your oil flow, which can be bad for your pump.

Mine is tier 3, no DPF filters to worry about.

I personally don't feel comfortable bringing the engine up to PTO speed or much past 1500 RPMs until the engine is good and warm, I do the same with gas engines, keep RPMs low till oil warms up and starts flowing good.

Idle speed is around 1050 RPM, for warming her up I like to be at idle to 1400 depending on outside temp.

1500 RPMs is usually my working RPM in Mid range for FEL work.

I can go higher but have no need to burn the extra fuel. At 1500 RPM the tractor doesn't break a sweat.

Unless someone gave me a really good reason why I should move bales at 2000+ RPM, I'll stay at 1500.

Also too much past 1500 and I will be needing hearing protection outside of the machine, she gets loud close to PTO RPM.

I posted here to learn though, if I'm doing something that could harm her I'm willing to change my ways.

/ Minimum time to have tractor run? #24  
I'm not sure what RPM you are using when actually doing work with the tractor. I always feel anything less than 2000 rpm's is to slow. Some people think keeping the rpm's down is some how saving the engine.
I like running mine between 2000 and 2500. On the lower side when using the BH so it's not too jerky. High side with FEL loads and hills. I do think it is worth giving it a good long run time every once in a while if you are only using it for minutes at a time. Take a stroll with your tractor after your feed job is done occasionally.

/ Minimum time to have tractor run? #25  
Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 4320 JD compact, my question is what should the minimum time of running the tractor?

I use the tractor mainly for the FEL, I use it to move round bales and cattle tubs a short distance, I hear it's not good to start a diesel up, run it for 10-15 mins and shut it back down.

Is there a minimal RPM or run time I should try to hit?

I usually start it up, run it around 1500RPM, haul what I need to haul and park it back in the barn, 15-45mins usually.Thanks

John

I also have JD 4320. I use it on my approximately 5 acres of paternal land. Since these old model tractors have diesel engines, it is beneficial to run them for at least 20-25 minutes. And I recommend not using it below 1500 cycles.

/ Minimum time to have tractor run? #26  
Zombie Thread Alert!

While it doesn't hurt to not do so occasionally, any ICE likes to get run long enough for the engine to reach operating temperature and kept there for a period of time. .