Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do?

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
I've been thinking about all the headaches /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif a lot of the folks living in the flooded areas will have to go through. Aside from initially taking care of the bare necessities, there will come a time when people will have to clean up and rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not saying I would, but I'm thinking about when that time comes, whether hauling my tractor to the area and help with the cleanup would be a worthwhile effort. Don't know if others have considered this or what could be done possibly as a group effort that would make an impact.

I know some of you fellas got more time than others. May ya'll could coordinate stuff.

Thoughts????

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #2  
I too am heartsick about the damage, but my little 22 HP CUT won't make a drop in the bucket compared to what they need. They would be better off with me giving an amount of money.

They will likely need big dozers and front end loaders and dump trucks.

Ron

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #3  
Actually I have next week off and was thinking about taking my little tractor down there donating myself and equipment. I am sure there is clean up for all sizes of equipment.

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #4  
I too have thought about this. I have a 43hp Tractor with a grapple rake, and I know I can move debris and moderate trees. Altgough, gas prices and not wanting to go unless I am part of some coordinated effort are holding me back.

Joe

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #5  
I have a place that's about 50 miles south of Jackson, in NewHebron, MS, and had some large oaks blown over and minor damage to the house. Drove over there Tuesday and moved the trees with the help of the county and got cleaned up. Before you decide to make a move in that direction you should be aware that for the most part there is no electrical power south of Jackson, and won't be restored for weeks in most places. Gasoline supplies in the area without power has been exhausted using generator power to pump but replacement isn't coming in. Food supplies are in short supply. Many rural and local water systems are contaminated.
Those who have access to generators to power refrigerators and freezers are having a problem locating gasoline to run them.
When I left to return to Monroe, LA late yesterday there were mile long lines in both directions at every fuel station that I passed with people waiting for gasoline. Every fast food place was full. I stopped at a burger king to get it my way... but they were out of drinks. Not even water available with the sandwiches. Here in Monroe gas is in short supply, and it appears to be getting worse. People are driving here for supplies from as far south as Covington, LA.
You also should be reminded that this has brought out the best, as well as the worst in people. One was killed near Brookhaven, MS this week in a dispute over a bag of ice. The survival instinct may show itself in ugly ways before this is over. If you're over here you'll need a pocket full of cash, because the electricity required to use a debit card isn't available. That might make you a target before long.
I'm hope I'm not coming across as a doomsdayer, but this thing has me scared for what the future holds.

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #6  
Make your availability known to the Red Cross, then wait for them to call YOU. Last thing they needs anyone getting in the way.

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #7  
I had similar thoughts of wanting to help after the Tsunami in Asia. I speak fluent Thai, I am a certified EMT, and I am a professional food safety microbiologist. I even contacted the Red Cross and some other agencies. They all said the same thing... We don't need people, we need money.

We might start some kind of a collection. We could mow pastures or till gardens and send the profits to relief aid.

Another thing that the victims might need more than people coming to them is offers of a place to stay or a place to keep their stuff until they figure out what they are going to do from here.

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #8  
Check out this site http://www.fema.gov/
Federal Emergency Management and others are asking that NO one show up unexpectedly to volunteer, at least for the time being. Some like Red Cross will put your name on the list and call you when need. I work for USDA and FEMA is getting a list of USDA employees willing to volunteer for 2-4 week stints. Most will be going door to door checking to see what people need. For now we have been told only those trained in law enforcement, firefighting and medical will be called until the situation is a little more stable.

/ Mississippi Area Flooding - What to do? #9  
There are a number of volunteer opportnities. Where you live will have some impact on the avenues available. Here in the Tampa region there are companies who are being hired by the government to lead the effort to find workers for the area so as to help with the clean-up, rebuilding etc. I would suggest that a few calls to your regional FEMA office and a few of the larger volunteer coordinating organizations in your area will give you the info you need.

It is a very complicated thing to try to coordinate efforts for something of the size. Just like the victims of the disaster, volunteers need things too. You can't just let people just wander around doing things even if it is for the right reasons. That's part of why it is asked that people don't just show up. The effort needs to be coordinated and orderly. I am looking into finding a way to cart the "baby" up to help myself. If I find any reliable links I will pass them on.