Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
When I changed the oil I used 10w30 Kubota oil. However I stopped by the Kubota dealership I picked up some other parts and a quart of 15w40 Kubota Oil because I couldn't remember oil I had used. The oil is 3/4 up to the second hole on the dipstick so just a little bit low. Would it be bad to add the 15w40 to top off the oil? I could just take it back and exchange it but the dealership is a little bit of a drive so if I could just add the 15w40 that would be easiest.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #2  
I'd do it. The low numbers are the flow weight. A half quart or so isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #3  
No problem.

Ralph

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #4  
Will not be a problem. I do it all the time instead of having my oil low. Mostly I blend 5-30 with 10-30. Make sure everything you use is Diesel engine oil. Engine oil that is not rated for use in Diesel engines will not last and will severly damage an engine. C is for compression ignition engines S is for spark ignition engines. Diesel engine oil can be used for both. You can find these ratings on the API oil donut on the back of the bottle/ jug.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil
Ok, thanks for the help. I will just add the 15w40.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #6  
My 2 cents. If the additive packs are different, you will get emulsification (foaming/frothing) of the oil. This will quickly lead to oil starvation. This opportunity has become much more prevalent w/modern oils. Some chemist believe it is due to the base oil used, others the additive pack. Either way, oil is cheap insurance. Personally, I use the same brand and weight from day 1. In my F250, JD 4310 & RTV 900 - Rotella 15w40. Never an issue starting, no noise (other then the diesel) and no abnormal wear.

Again just my opinion. Carry on with whatever you feel works for you.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #7  
A little bit of non diesel oil added as makeup shouldn't make any difference. Main difference in a diesel engine oil is it has more detergent or other agent to keep the soot suspended.

Ralph

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #8  
1st I'd mix it with no concern but if I was 1/4 or 1/2 way up the full dip stick I wouldn't add any and also not worry. If your up to the bottom of the full section of the dip stick your OK and it may never drop a bit until the next oil change but I'd keep an eye on it. Mix it or wait and change it the next time you go by the dealers will be fine either way. What ever gives you the best sleep because I don't think it will matter to your Kubota, only you.:)

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil #9  
If the oil level is within the operating range, I'd add nothing. "Full" isn't at the top of the range, "full" is anywhere within the range.

/ Mixing 10w30 with 15w40 Kubota oil
Well I was able to pick up some 10w30 to add a little to get the level to the second hole on the dipstick. Maybe it wasn't necessary but I feel better about it at least to get the oil to the suggested level. I don't have much knowledge about mixing oil weights but I guess adding the 15w40 just didn't make sense to me and I didn't want to do any damage.