Mixing coolant

/ Mixing coolant #22  
I would not go by color. Recently I switched coolants in my 7.3. If I remember right from my reading fords "gold" that is recommended for 7.3 did not meet internationals specs. The truck I purchased had "green" in it with a leaky water pump. I tossed the motorcraft waterpump and opted instead to buy the proper international waterpump with a built in filter base. Performed a massive block flush and reassembled. Distilled water and ELC red coolant went back in. From my readings anything left behind would diminish the excellent properties of the ELC as well as adding any SCA's. When I flushed OT was amazing how much cast sand came out lol. I also caught a lot of particles in my first couple coolant filters- not much in them anymore.

/ Mixing coolant #23  
I do not mix the two.

Dexcool seems to be cool in the newer stuff but not in the old without pressurized over flow tanks.

/ Mixing coolant #24  
Getting ready to go to ELC this Fall myself, I came across this article.

The Basics of Diesel-Engine Coolant | Construction Equipment

Part of me getting comfortable with "No SCA needed" technology....

When I first looked at ELCs 2+ years ago, they seemed pretty picky about completely flushing old coolant - PITA if you have hard well water.

I'm going to go with this Delo ELC - it can tolerate up to 25% old coolant, and uses DI water in the Pre-Mix jug.

Diesel Coolant, Delo Prediluted & Extended Life Antifreeze - Delo - (Canada)

Rgds, D.

/ Mixing coolant #25  
   / Mixing coolant #26  
http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGarageTechArticles/TDR62_TruckAntifreeze.pdf
TDR TECH: Antifreeze for Your Dodge Diesel Truck
Heres a couple of articles on antifreeze.
I am of the opinion that you should not mix the two. But, it should be noted that not all red or pink is the same just because the color is the same. I would steer clear of Dexcool at all costs, but thats a personal opinion.
Everything that I own has been switched to Caterpillar ELC. Tractor, truck, wifes CX9, ATVs, etc..

The Delo I just picked up meets CAT EC-1 spec. Is that the current CAT spec for anti-freeze ?

One thing I'm trying to keep in mind with ELCs in general is to not forget about the Time spec. For personal use, dividing the Mileage spec by miles/year typically would be way to long a change interval.

Rgds, D.