Mixing oil with diesel fuel?

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #1  

k8ny

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2200
I have some questions regarding the practice of mixing oil with diesel fuel as some folks do. Since my questions were not answered on previous post, I am reposting. here they are:

Being a newbie to diesel engines (pretty good with gas) I have heard some mention that they add a quart or two of used oil to every ten gallons of diesel fuel. I'm guessing that it adds additional lubrication for the engine and peripherals.
Questions: Is this OK to do? Will it hurt anything? What are the benefits?

Thanks

Bob

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #2  
Ask your local dealer if he will honor your warrantee if you do this. Please post his reply.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #3  
I have heard that adding 2 cycle oil [ratio ??? ] will aid in milage and add lubricity. Verification and results ????
Used oil would never find it's way into my diesel tanks.

Egon

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #4  
I don't think it is something they do to every 10 gal of fuel. I think it they do it as a convenient way to dispose of used oil.

That said, it isn't something I would ever do. I can't imagine dumpimg a quart of dirty oil into my clean diesel fuel.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #5  
Re:Mixing oil with diesel fuel-A disaster brewing?

<font color=blue>… I have heard some mention that they add a quart or two of used oil to every ten gallons of diesel fuel…</font color=blue>

Who sold you this bill of goods…? /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Why would you add some contaminated toxic product with all sorts of “unknown” chemical byproducts with acid… into your fuel system and through your injection pump, lines, and injectors…?/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I think you’re opening yourself up to a potential future disaster…/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

It sounds like an old wives' tale… /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #6  
I don't recall who posted that, and that was the only time I've heard of anyone disposing of old oil in that manner. I don't know what it might or might not do, but I sure wouldn't do it to one of my engines. I never added anything to my fuel except Power Service diesel fuel additive, but my brother says when he was driving an 18-wheeler, he added one quart of automatic transmission fluid to every second tank of fuel (50 gallon or larger tank). He and his employer thought it helped with lubrication and keeping the injectors clean. And this is just for your information; I have no technical knowledge of either pros or cons.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #7  
It's done. I won't say regularly, but it is common enough that Cummins mentions it in their publication "Fuels for Cummins Engines."

I would also expect, that with the new EPA sulfur regs looming, that it will soon be banned, as it does little good to regulate the amount of sulfur in fuel if operators are going to add sulfur-rich lube oil to the mix.

The reason for doing it is simply disposing of used oil. There is no beneficial effect to the fuel system or performance of a diesel engine by doing this.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #8  
I've added ATF for a fuel conditioner and have recommended it and heard everybody else recommend it. But, I read somewhere just recently that it might not be a good idea. The item that I read, and I can't remember where I read it, stated that it's a really a bad idea due to the friction modifiers used in ATF. Injection pumps aren't designed for friction modifiers. I don't think I'll use it anymore. I've also read that some Duramax owners are having problems with injector plugging due to the way smaller than they used to be holes in the the injector tips. There was some issue whether or not fuel additives that emulsify water were causing the problem. I wouldn't trust used motor oil, either. I think I'll stick with buying fresh, clean fuel and forego playing chemist. That might be cheaper in the long run.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel?
Re:Mixing oil with diesel fuel-A disaster brewing?

<font color=blue>Who sold you this bill of goods…?</font color=blue>

To answer that you will have to look at the post titled <font color=red>" Is Tractor Supply brand diesel oil any good"</font color=red> which was posted in this section a few weeks ago. The respondent was an <font color=green>"alias docdezl"</font color=green>. I posed my original question back to him but didn't receive a reply, that's why I reposted it under a new title.

Very interesting responses so far and it seems to be somewhat common in the trucking industry.

/ Mixing oil with diesel fuel? #10  
Since I'm certainly no diesel mechanic or chemist, I think you've got the right idea, Brad./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif