Mixing oils.........

/ Mixing oils......... #1  

rja

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3000dt Kubota
To all of the oil/chemical experts: I changed the hydro oil in a ZTR mower and switched to Amsoil syntheitc. This was blessed by both the engine and mower manfgs. While changing this fluid, I also changed the heavy gear oil on the cutting deck (also with syntheitc). Now the problem, since both weights of oil came in the same type of container; (size, and color), I added 6qts of 20/50 and .5qt of 80/90 oil to the hydro system. I also ran the machine after the change and before I realized the screw up. After my enlightenment, I pulled off 1qt of oil from the machine and replaced it with 20/50. I know that the 80/90 oil has EP additives that if used in the engine will convert to corrosive matierals. Since the hydro system will not have any water or gasses contamination, am I ok here? What are your recommendations? Thanks.

/ Mixing oils......... #2  
<font color=blue>To all of the oil/chemical experts:</font color=blue>

That ain't me, but that has never stopped me before.

Why take a chance for the cost of 6.5 quarts? I think I would also pull the filter and drain it also.

/ Mixing oils......... #3  
I agree. Those two types of oils are radically different - mixing them could have serious side effects. I'd drain it and start over. Bummer.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Mixing oils......... #4  
I'm one of those non-experts who really doubts that 8% of the wrong oil would make much difference in this case. However, if it were my machine, I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to take a chance; I'd have to drain it out and start over.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 12/5/00 12:30 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Mixing oils......... #5  
Change oil/filter again.This time pay attention to what you are doing.Never did anything like that.But nobody is perfect.I think you made a good choice with Amsoil.

Larry Schultz

/ Mixing oils.........
I would have been ok except the AMSOIL containers are the same shape, size, color. The labels are SLIGHTLY different, but you have to take a close look to see it. I am not trying to pull a GORE here, but I doubt I am the only one to do this. However, after making a suggesstion to the AMSOIL dealer to modify their packaging, I ordered 6 more qts of the 20/50 oil at my expense. Rich.

/ Mixing oils......... #7  
rja, In the gearbox it would not hurt for sure, there is a good chance being full synthetic it would not hurt anything and both are compatible with all the seals, just 8% is not very much of a blend. I would run it and change it sooner next time. I have mixed regular oil with Amzoil which you can do anytime. In aircraft we run 50-50 mix especially after the initial 50 hour run with non-detergent to seat the rings, then 50-50 amsoil till 300 hours then full strength. This oil is also bio-degradable so you do not have to worry about disposing of it (by law) pour it on the grass and will not even kill that. gary

/ Mixing oils......... #8  
Gary, are you saying that Amsoil is bio-degradable and can just be dumped on the ground? I don't know the chemical makeup of Amsoil, but that was something I wondered about and thought that might be a reason to change to synthetics, but what I've been able to read so far led me to think you have the same disposal problem with synthetics as you have with petroleum oil.

Bird

/ Mixing oils......... #9  
Bird, Thats rite 100 % biodegradable, all of their products are and no disposal problems like we are experianceing with the EPA. These products are all man made estors and no petroleum products in them. I am a dealer but only to get my own products at a resonable cost as I use the products in at least 20 units I run. I have found the initial cost of the product is more but when you factor the 500 degree highr temp ratings and -70 below pour point, and longer oil change intervals it is actually cheaper in the long haul. If you are thinking of using this product it cost very little to become a dealer and buy wholesale, any dealer in your area can get you started. I find oil and a few other topics can turn real ugly on the net so I do not argu with anyone because whatever a person has good luck with use it. gary

/ Mixing oils......... #10  
Hmmm, Gary, if all their products are bio-degradable, why do they only list one particular oil as bio-degradable on their web site? I've done a lot of reading on their site as well as a number of others, and except for that one particular oil (not the one I'd be using), I haven't found anything to indicate disposal is any less of a problem with the synthetics than with petroleum oil. I'm one of those old fashioned fellows who, while believing synthetics are good, still seriously doubts that the synthetics are worth the extra cost. HOWEVER, if it's safe to pour out on the ground after use, I'll change to it.

Bird