MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I got a new MK Martin snow blower this fall, and have had some issues. Overall, its a fantastic blower that does a good job! The issues I have had include the wrong hydraulic fittings shipped, throwing gravel everywhere, breaking sheer bolts and replacing them, design flaws, etc.

What are your thoughts on this blower? I couldnt find a dealer for some of the other name brands (their names escape me), and they seemed to be overpriced. The MK Martin was more reasonable and available. I'll post my video below, thanks for watching and for your comments!

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #2  
All blowers throw gravel and break shear pins.

Shipping you the wrong fittings was obviously their fault.

As with most new equipment, it takes a few times to figure out how it works best; its strengths and weaknesses.

I used to break a lot of shear pins when blowing back hard snowbanks. Learned to break them up with the FEL first, and then blow them back.

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #3  
I have an SB72 MK Martin Meteor snow blower. I was in the market for a 5 footer, but a deal came up on a 6 footer that I couldn't say no to. So far I have broken one shear bolt but otherwise it has been a great blower. I can't speak for the hydraulic part as mine is manual rotation for the chute. The first few snow falls I tend to throw some gravel to, but that's because I don't have a good base established. Once I have a good base, it just glides over top and no more rocks moved.

I have blown anywhere from 4 inches of fluff (pain in the butt), to 10 inches of heavy wet snow without a problem. I am very happy with the blower.

The only con I have about it, is how there isn't a dedicated drain plug in the gearbox. There is only the drain/fill plug on the right side of it.

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #4  
Nick,
Good video.

I have the Farm King 74" on my LS. It seems quite a bit heavier built than the MK in your video. It is a Cat 1/2 blower so that may be why. It weighs 965 lbs.

I have the same "cons". Chain drive is on the inside but so far not an issue, but I see your point. The shear bolts are a bit easier to get to but still a PITA. I have broken three shear bolts in 2 years. The enclosure on the FK seems to cover more of the auger so I get less snow/gravel spraying out the top/front. Two pins broke due to lack of experience and picking up too much grave when I hit the hydraulic top link instead of chute deflector control, and once I picked up a small piece of firewood.

I have a hydraulic top link but took it off as I like to keep a consistent angle of attack on the scraper to avoid digging into gravel. Like you, I angle the blower back a tad and it works fine. Have not broken a shear pin since removing the hydraulic top link. I do not mind an inch of snow left on the drive/parking area.

So far, I have not had to deal with more than 8" of snow and there is no issue with a pull blower handling that. I can get over 12", so it will be interesting to see how a pull blower performs dealing with a huge dump.

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #5  
I don't think your problems, other than the hydraulic fitting, are unique to your snow blower. I have a Blizzard, and it digs gravel like crazy. What has helped considerably, is I designed and paid some kids at my University to fabricate an edge attachment to help avoiding digging gravel. (See picture). It has a 2 in wide piece of steel angled up at 30 degrees to help ride over the gravel. It helps tremendously, but if I don't have a base, it still picks up lots of gravel, as you can see in the picture. Luckily, where I live it usually (this year notwithstanding) gets cold enough that after about the first snow fall, everything freezes rock solid and I get a nice hard layer of snow so that I don't have anymore problems spitting gravel. If I remember right, you are in the Spokane area (I was born in Spokane and grew up in Yakima) and so you might not get as prolonged of cold to get a nice base.

I have resigned myself to the fact that until I get a base of snow built up each year, I will spit gravel and regularly break shear pins. It often happens for me by a small piece of gravel getting wedged between the impeller blade and the housing, as there is just a small gap. The occasional random large rock or stick that gets buried by the snow after wind knocks it down does the trick too ...

The good news is the shear pins were smartly located, and I can change them in about 30 seconds. I carry at least a half dozen with me.
PXL_20211230_184738207.jpg

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #6  
I am also a MK Martin 72” snow blower owner but mine is designed to work while backing up. This is my second season using it and so far have only sheared one pin and it was very easily replaced. My opinion it works very well but I do wish it had a better shoe system to make it easier to prevent picking up gravel without leaving to much snow on the surface I’m trying to clear. Paid $3950.00 for the blower setup and delivered with hydraulic chute swivel and tilt .

My tractor is also equipped with hydraulic top link which works very nice but it’s very easy to mistakingly move the top link when not
wanting to.

A forward pull blower definitely has some nice points but I definitely wouldn’t want to not be able to back through the big snow bank at the end of my driveway and several other places, so far it has always been able to do that very easily.

Last edited:
   / MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #7  
I have the MK Martin rear pull 68" I just love it. Yours would throw farther if you could angle your discharge chute higher. I haven't had shear pin issues even though I ran a hunk of 2x4 through it on it's first use. It has reduced my snow clearing time by more than half.

Last edited:
   / MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #8  
I got a new MK Martin snow blower this fall, and have had some issues. Overall, its a fantastic blower that does a good job! The issues I have had include the wrong hydraulic fittings shipped, throwing gravel everywhere, breaking sheer bolts and replacing them, design flaws, etc.

What are your thoughts on this blower? I couldnt find a dealer for some of the other name brands (their names escape me), and they seemed to be overpriced. The MK Martin was more reasonable and available. I'll post my video below, thanks for watching and for your comments!

I've had a conventional 78" for the last few years, had since new. No issues all with it. Local dealer sells them and delivered it assembled, I did have to unload with front end loader and cut PTO shaft once mounted. Price was very good.

In general shear pins and gravel are operator & condition related, all blowers will throw gravel if skid shoes / 3pt not set correct for conditions and all blowers will break shear pins if there are foreign objects in snow(including solid chunks of ice) or machine is overloaded.

I've broken shear pins and thrown gravel :)

IMG_4174.JPG

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #9  
Nic I have a Landpride and mine will pick up some gravel as well.

What I have found over the years is to leave some snow on the driveway to pack down over the top of the gravel (you may not have that option). Adjust your skid shoes to give the cutting edge a 1/2-3/4 inch clearance until you have a good base. If you have a crown on the driveway do not blow snow down the middle as your cutting edge will more than likely be the skid shoes and dig in.

/ MK Martin Meteor Snow Blower #10  
PCABE5 gives great advice. On gravel, set the skids with the 1/2 -3/4 inch gap under the scraper. I set my snow blower on 1x4 boards (3/4 thick) to lower the skids.

I'm midway through my second winter using a 60 inch WoodMaxx snow blower, and have yet to shear a bolt (knock knock knock ... on wood)

We leave the first 2-3 inches of snow in place, wait for a time when it is near 32° F out so the snow packs well, and then we run our pickup up and down the driveway to pack the snow, lock the gravel in place, and provide a good solid base for the skids - so they don't dig into the gravel.

If after that I'm spitting gravel, that means either the scrapper is too low, or something has damaged or thinned out the base. Sometimes I spit just a bit of gravel right at the road, where the blow scrapes the end of the driveway. There's not much that I can do about that.

I'm wondering if your drive is highly crowned, which would then require a wider gap below the scraper (lower skids).

Also, remember to inspect and clear large debris from the area being cleared. It's something that needs to be done all winter.

Regarding the hydraulic fittings, the WoodMaxx only came with fittings to attach the hoses to the snow blower. I had to take a hose to the John Deere dealer to buy the correct fittings. To be safe I brought pictures and measurements of the tractor’s fittings. The dealer was very helpful.

Oh, and don't forget to level the snow blower such that the bottom of the shroud around the fan (impeller behind the auger) is slightly tilted downward to prevent pooling of melted snow.

And, as always take lots of time after clearing to remove snow from moving parts so they won't be frozen and locked up next time. I use the snow blower shovel, a small broom, and a blower.

Last edited: