ml108 FEL

/ ml108 FEL #1  

tcmaster1

Tractor
mahindra 2810
A few years ago I saw a thread on installing larger lift cylinders on an ml108 lift. I have been searching for a while now but can't seem to find the post. Anyone on here have any experience with this or remember where the link is? thanks in advance

/ ml108 FEL #2  
That was years ago. We did it for our customer. The original ML108 cylinders did not lift much. That loader fit on 23 and 28 HP tractors initially, but the tractors were far from little. Then they came out with the 3510HST with the same loader, and the loader was very under-spec for that hefty of a tractor with that much HP.

But I don't think you will find a way to order larger cylinders from Mahindra for that loader. We did one as a special case for a very good customer. Not long after that, they quit making the ML108, maybe 10 years ago?

But hydraulics are pretty simple. If you can find similar stroke and total length in/out cylinders you can weld the correct ends on the rod/cylinder if need be. Not a difficult thing to do. Keep in mind that 1/4" or 1/2" bigger in cylinder diameter makes quit a bit of difference. The cross sectional area of course is a function of pi and the square of the radius. Maybe this over simplifies as it does not account for leverage issues and angles and what not, but a 2" cylinder has an area of 3.14 sq in, a 2.5" cylinder has an area of 4.9 sq in. Squaring the radius to get the area jacks things up pretty quickly. That is a gain of over 50% and will make the loader way stronger, and also way slower. The pump has to now fill a cylinder that is 50% bigger. A 0.25" size increase may be just right. But you can do the math. But tractors with larger cylinders have larger pumps, and with larger pumps comes bigger return and pressure lines, larger filtration systems, larger reservoir, etc.

Of course you can get yourself in trouble making the loader lift more. Safety issues with bigger loads is a concern. Also remember that when you lift more you put more strain on the front axle and other parts. As it is now, the weak point is the loader. If you make it stronger, you may just find the next limitation. So be careful when you become your own engineer and test pilot.

I do not recall the size of those cylinders, but adding 0.25" to 0.375" might be just right.

Welcome to TBN by the way!

/ ml108 FEL
Thank you, I ordered 2 inch cylinders originals were 1 3/4. I also increase rod diameter to 1 1/4 from 1 inch. I was having a hard time finding cylinders with similar lengths, stroke, mounting and port size. I ended up getting 3 inch longer stroke but with a 3/4 longer extended length. I didn't want to the loader coming back too far accidentally. I can deal with the added stroke downward. I also got bigger pin diameters (it was all I could find). but my problem now is the new cylinders have sae #6 ports directly into the cylinder. The lines are SAE #4 and designed to go into a 90 fitting. I'm having a real issue coming up with the correct fittings to adapt them.

/ ml108 FEL #4  
Check baileynet or surplus center for a #4 to #6 bushing. I know they have them. I did the same upgrade a few years back. The factory cylinders were inadequate. I believe I went with 2" cylinders. Much happier now. Also, my cylinders came from baileynet and surplus center.