Mowing MMM idler pulley came off

/ MMM idler pulley came off #1  

kfschaefer

Tractor
MF GC 2400
I have a 60 inch mower which I thought was going to need a new idler pulley so I have on on hand. Today it came off just as we finished mowing. I cannot figure out how to keep the pulley on the mounting pole as I have the keeper pin but see no grove to put it in on the pole. I suppose I could get the bracket with the pulley mounted on it but would rather not since I have the pulley already. Has anyone ever just replaced the idler pulley successfully as I would love some tips that I am clearly missing.

/ MMM idler pulley came off #3  
this part?
doesn't it use snap ring and not a pin?
are you maybe not getting the pulley down far enough to see the indentation?
mines all tarped up for winter now so cannot verify physically.

Capture.PNG

/ MMM idler pulley came off
Thanks Dave as I meant snap ring. Here is a photo of a new and old pulley along with where the pulley goes without any grove.
B376B098-CD51-4354-8CAF-61532BEA8ED2.jpeg

The snap ring shown in your image is not the same in mine as it shows a snap ring underneath the pulley which makes no sense to me.
DA558CE3-7250-482B-A45B-C7C7974519B9.jpeg

/ MMM idler pulley came off #5  
sounds like groove area wore/broke off which would cause the pulley to come off.
thats a 2325/2326 mower right?
or is it the older mulching mower, think they made that 60 "

Good eye Dave as it is a 2009 model. I had not considered that the groove are may have worn out or broken. It does not appear to be broken so it much have worn smooth. Looks like I will need to get the whole setup to be sure. I thought I was so smart having a spare pulley on hand:) Thanks for responding as two heads are better than just one.

IF bearing fits stub ok, just drill stub at end and tap for threads and use bolt & washer to retain idler....
Good idea and will try that since it would be faster.

/ MMM idler pulley came off #9  
Yep, just went out & looked at my 2360 and sure enough, there's a small snap-ring at the top of the idler pulley "axle." Drilling into that & tapping for a bolt & washer sounds like a great fix, if it holds up. You might want to use some thread locker on the bolt. Here's a pic -- (No extra charge for the dust, as they say....)

MMM idler pulley.JPG

/ MMM idler pulley came off #10  
Good eye Dave as it is a 2009 model. I had not considered that the groove are may have worn out or broken. It does not appear to be broken so it much have worn smooth. Looks like I will need to get the whole setup to be sure. I thought I was so smart having a spare pulley on hand:) Thanks for responding as two heads are better than just one.
what is model # of that?
the pic you posted showing that clip in that position been irritating the heck out of me LOL