MMM or RFM

/ MMM or RFM #21  
<font color="blue">
Having owned both, I am convinced that MMM(s) do a better mowing job than a RFM / RMM. </font>

I find this statement extreemly interesting as I also have owned both...and think they really do about the same job...pretty good mowing.

For me the difference was the RFM would swing away from what I was cutting AROUND while the MMM tends to follow the front wheels...and so FOR ME the MMM is better...still...the quality of the cut in my opinion, for the same 5' width mower, is about the same from what I experienced...

/ MMM or RFM #22  
Well I am going to throw another option in here. I like my MMM and would not have a RFM on the 3 point hitch. But I would love a rear finish mower that was a pull type so you could trim around tree easier. Mower deck would follow the back wheels.

However, in another thread a pull type reel mower was asked about. I am seriously thinking of getting the Pro7 to pull behind my tractor.

Pro Mow

Anyway this would be neat I think and you could go around your trees and supposedly you get a better cut, but you do have to mow more often.

murph

/ MMM or RFM #23  
Murph had an Uncle that used to swear by a gang mower. He was sharpening a lot more blades than a conventional mower but he did like the cut that the gang produced.

/ MMM or RFM #24  
Just think, almost 9 feet in one swipe and you can do it with less than ten horsepower. In one of the FAQ's I found you actually even save fuel which I am sure you will, but who would notice?

Sure wish I could get someone to let me try one on my lawn to see how well you actually got around and in between trees. By chance someone here wouldn't like to buy me one would they??? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

murph

edit here:

someone in the attachments section that was looking for reel mowers just told me the reel mower doesn't work too well in cool climate grasses because they like to stay at 3". The reel mower can't mow to well over 1" So I am sadened /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

murph

/ MMM or RFM #25  
Murph, if its any consolation, they work beautifully out here. The JD link I posted in the post you mentioned is typical of what the golf courses out here use. I like the noise and the look of the grass flying out of a reel mower. The tops of the grass are always perfectly cut and look good.

/ MMM or RFM #26  
Reel mowers, if well maintained, will deliver the best cut on the grass blade. They cut the grass blade rather than shear or tear. They seem to be the mower of choice for golf courses.

Egon

/ MMM or RFM #27  
.....I freely admit that I may have a case of the "grass is always greener with a MMM" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The top of my leaching field is where I wish I had a MMM the most......as you end up with an area that is taller than the cut you are looking for. I get around this by dropping the 3pt hitch below where I am currently cutting to make up for the RFM being higher as I go up / over the edge of the drop or down it. Hopefully this makes sense. Going sideways across the hill is too much "pucker factor" for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ MMM or RFM #28  
I have a Cub 5252 with a MMM (60") and a Ford 1220 with a Woods RM59. I mow the two acres around the house with the Cub and MMM. I can get within an inch of trees, walks, whatever with the MMM.

The Woods RFM does a better job on taller grass and I think cuts as well overall as the MMM. I mow some paths though the woods and a couple acres toward the rear of the property with it. I think if I were willing to do a little manual trimming around the house with a push mower, the RFM would work fine there also.

There might be some logic? to using a garden tractor for the lawn mowing duties, that would keep a lot of hours off a much more expensive piece of equipment. I find myself using both tractors for a lot of jobs I'm doing.

Curt

/ MMM or RFM #29  
....that is what I do.....I use the RFM for the big areas, including my field that grows like mad and I "cut in" around the house with a hand-mower and weed-wacker. I think in a few years I will do what you are doing and buy a smaller ride-on mower, that way my oldest can help me mow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He is only 4 1/2 right now, but I look forward to the day when we will be mowing on "duelling tractors" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ MMM or RFM #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....that is what I do.....I use the RFM for the big areas, including my field that grows like mad and I "cut in" around the house with a hand-mower and weed-wacker. I think in a few years I will do what you are doing and buy a smaller ride-on mower, that way my oldest can help me mow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He is only 4 1/2 right now, but I look forward to the day when we will be mowing on "duelling tractors" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>
I can mow most of my 2.33 acres with the BX23.
The rest I mow with the wards power kraft with a 46'' deck.

One advantage of having 2 mowers is if you have a 2nd. driver it greatly reduces mowing time.