MMM removal & reinstall

/ MMM removal & reinstall #1  

glenshoe

I read with interest previous posts about taking off the Mid Mount Mower. I just bought a new B7610 w/ MMM and asked one of the guys in the dealer's shop how difficult it was to remove the mower. He said it's a big pain so he just disconnects it and drives (backs) over the mower deck. He says "you can't hurt it" and that he does it all the time. After looking at the belt guards, I decided they're a little too thin and the weight of the tractor might bend/dent them so I think I'm going to remove them and put some plywood in place with support blocks just so I can try this method. What do you think? Glenn /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ MMM removal & reinstall #2  
Glen,

I have a B2910 with the 72" MMM , which is a drive-over deck (so I can't say how it is for a 7610 specifically) Regardless, I would still not drive over it - my thinking is that it can't be good for it.

As far as taking mine on and off, it really isn't that bad provided you have the loader on the tractor. Generally I have the loader on, so when I need to put the mower on it isn't a problem - takes maybe 5 minutes max. Once I have the mower on, I remove the FEL to mow (another 5 minutes max) before mowning. Same thing for taking it off - hook up the FEL, remove mower - ten minutes at most. Considering that the mower cut my mow time down to a couple of hours from around a day, I can spend the 15 or 20 minutes a week to to take it on and off.

If you do plan on driving over the mower, I would make very sure that you do indeed have the drive-over model - the manual for my 72" MMM also covers the 60" MMM for the 2710/2910 - and it doesn't say anything about the 60 MMM being a drive-over - just 72". FWIW.

/ MMM removal & reinstall #3  
My two cents,
I take mine off on my concrete driveway, that way it rolls nice and easy, then use some chains to lift it with the FEL and carry it to storage. Only takes 5-10 minutes once you get used to it.
Call me cheap, but as much as a MMM cost, I would never ever drive over it. IMHO.
I even wax mine when I clean under it and change blades, and touch it up where scratched.
I still remember being poor with a used up mower that in it's final days would only turn left, so I take extremely good care of my prize BX.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ MMM removal & reinstall #4  
I believe the deck on yours is a RCK60-24B. If so this is not a drive over deck. You may get away with it, but eventually you'll put some stress cracks in it. The person who owned my B2400 prior to me obviously did this and it took me quite a while to mig weld all the cracks back up. I too use the FEL to raise the front of tractor off of the ground and then the deck comes off easily.

/ MMM removal & reinstall #5  
Only turn left huh? Well I was so poor that when the drive belt wore so much it wouldn't pull me when mowing, I'd put it in 1st, get off and walk beside it, up hill, back and forth /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I takes care of my prized BX too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Course I haven't waxed the MMM yet but then again I haven't had it a full season yet either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt

/ MMM removal & reinstall #6  
The first time I removed mine, reattachment took half an hour. Now I'm under 4 min. I do it on the concrete in the garage. Leaving the tractor in neutral so that both the MMM and the tractor can be easily rolled for minor adjustments is easy. "Super-Dollies" help move the MMM quickly. After you couple/uncouple the PTO enough times, it gets to where you can couple it in under 5 seconds. A lot of people seem to have difficulty of getting the hang of it though. I lift the deck with an electric hoist and have MowerAxle storage wheels for saving storage space.

/ MMM removal & reinstall #7  
glenshoe -

I have the 54" MMM - I'm pretty sure it's NOT drive over either - I wouldn't want to try!

While I have *successfully* removed / re-installed the MMM with all 4 wheels on the floor - taking 20 - 30 minutes each time IIRC - I found that by putting a block under the FEL bucket - I could get those extra few inches to allow the MMM post to easily pass the right front tire.

Using this blocking technique - I can probably take the MMM on/off in @ 5 minutes. I also then take the FEL off in order to mow.

MMM Removal using *blocked* FEL

Note: for safety's sake - I get the MMM disconnected and partially turned - then raise the front wheels only long enough to get the MMM out - then right back down! Make sure the e-brake is firmly set too!

Definitely use the FEL to help! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Dan