MMM storage during winter

/ MMM storage during winter #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
Where do you store your MMM during the winter? Leave it on the tractor? Leave it on the floor? Get it up off the ground on something?

/ MMM storage during winter #2  
When I'm certain the season is over, I remove the deck, clean it thoroughly, sharpen the blades, grease the fittings, plug the gear grease port, loosen the belt, mount Larry's deck wheels, and park it along the wall in the garage.

/ MMM storage during winter #3  
I have a rear finishing mower, but storage is the same (unless one leaves their mid mount mower on the tractor).
My finishing mower (and rotary cutter) are normally stowed in the garage and out building. My previous out building had a wood floor. My current out building has a dirt floor, so both the mower and cutter will be setting on planks which, in turn, are set on solid cinder blocks.
It's not really going to hurt to leave them outside, but do block the mower up (6x6 beams, cinder block, etc), make sure everything has a preservative (I use Fluid Film) and cover it with a tarp. Make sure the tarp can "breathe" (like canvas). If you use a plastic tarp, make sure it's not tied down so tightly that trapped moisture can't evaporate.

/ MMM storage during winter
When I'm certain the season is over, I remove the deck, clean it thoroughly, sharpen the blades, grease the fittings, plug the gear grease port, loosen the belt, mount Larry's deck wheels, and park it along the wall in the garage.

Cool, this is what I may try to get, Larry's deck wheels. Looks like these would come in handy for getting underneath the mower for cleaning and taking off the blades as well as being able to move it around.

/ MMM storage during winter #5  
Both psvines & Roy's suggestions are correct. It all depends on what your own storage situation is.

I have a 5-bay shed with a concrete floor (barns are not the norm here in Australia) so I've mounted heavy-duty casters to all of my implement pallets. I can simply roll them away to where ever I want to store them when not in use & roll them into the exact mounting position when I need them. Easy-peasy!

Of course, I picked this little suggestion of using casters up from a TBN thread... something simple that you don't consider until someone else points it out. :mur:

I love this site!

/ MMM storage during winter #6  
I made my own "larry axles" with large bolts and wheel made from wood. I set my deck against the esl for winter

/ MMM storage during winter
So whether the "larry axles" or your own homemade one, is it basically using the same welded piece hole that the antiscalp wheels go through? Can you not just use the antiscalp wheels or would they not be able to support the weight of the deck.

/ MMM storage during winter #8  
I just stand mine on the antiscalp wheels with a 2" thick block of wood under the round wheel adjustment bar. I put it against the wall. It sits fine
on the 2" blocks.

/ MMM storage during winter #9  

+1 for Larry's wheels

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ MMM storage during winter #10  
I leave the deck on my B2710 mower. In fact, a few months ago was the only time it's ever been off, I figured after 13 years it might be time to sharpen the blades. No, I can't really tell much difference after sharpening it!:eek: