MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT?

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI FOLKS
I have a utility trailer,my friend built,that i haul wood in.Its a great trailer,mostly aluminuim frame,with a frame hitch,and a large 4 by 10 box.I can haul a half cord easily,and it still has plenty of spring in it [doesnt dead x] its really built for heavy hauling.I want to add i do not like the hauling it empty ,because the tires[mobile home] have no give,because of the stiff sidewall,and heavy leaf,causing it to bounce on every little bump.The one thing bad about it is its got a mobile home axle and tires,which is now a no no in our state. Ive still been using it each year to get my wood home,its never failed me,but the tires are really weather cracked,and getting bald.I know i can get replacement mobile home[14.5] tires through jc whitney,but i cannot see spending money on something not legal in MAINE,and i would like a tire that has give to it.My question is : Can you buy some sort of adapter kit to adapt this axle to accept regular style rims,and tires,or do i have to replace the whole axle?Thanks for any reply.
ALAN

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #2  
If you stop by a mobile home dealer they will probably have some slightly used tires (take offs from homes sold) they will sell you.. I paid $45 for an F, G or H (not sure how high they go, but this was way more than an E tire) rated tire last summer.. they may have some lower rated tires which cost less.. A new tire will run you in the $80 range.

I was told you would have to swap out the entire axle if you wanted to get rid of the MH tires.. Wish someone would make a regular size rim that was swappable..

good luck

b

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #3  
We converted our mobile home 6000 lb brake axles to standard 16" 8 hole hubs & wheels last year. 59.90 per new brake hub, 32.40 per new wheel. This includes new bearings & seals, lug nuts, ETC.

They had a lighter weight, 6 lug for less.

These were Dexter parts. www.dexteraxle.com

We purchased through McKelvey Enterprises, Mt Pleasant, TX.
I am sure there must be trailer parts distributors closer to you.

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #4  
reduce the springs for a better ride. they are there to give a better ride and take some of the strain off the tires.
Ben

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT?
BEN,
The trailer only has one leaf,but its1/2 or better thick!!!I have never seen leafs like it.She will haul as much weight as you can put in it,with spring still left,[what i want]but its a beast empty...bounces down the road on every small road ripple.I think some tires with some sidewall give will help.Ive had mobile home tires with zero air pressure and they didnt even look slack.Thanks for the input everyone
ALAN

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #6  
Yes, I've been hearing they're cracking down.

My tandem axle has MH axles and rims, but regular trailer tires; I've been told this isn't legal, either. Also, it still pulls mean when empty, just like you describe. Could it be because my empty trailer is about 750lbs, and the axles are meant for 6000 lbs, each? At any rate it'll cost me $550 + shipping (another $100+-) for axles and brakes. Then I have to buy wheels and tires, but standard RWD GM wheels will fit.

A half cord of green hardwood weighs about 2400-2800 lbs, depending on species. Last I knew Maine law requires trailer brakes only if you are over 3000lbs. You might get away with throwing a 3500# axle and springs under it and loading a little lighter, after determining the weight of the empty trailer.

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT?
JSTPSSING,
Boy thats alot of bucks to sink into my old trailer,especially when in the back of my head im thinking about a 10 ft tandem dump /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifI convinced the old lady to let me buy the car hauler for my tractor,last year,mabey ill dream up a good excuse for a new dump trailer.We can probably get her a few more hours at work to pay for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifSERIOUSLY THOUGH, ill have this woodlot up on the mountain depleted of firewood in 4 or 5 more years,then i wont need the wood trailer any more.You do see alot of mobile home type xs on the roads still,im gonna chance it for a few more years.
ALAN

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( JSTPSSING,
Boy thats alot of bucks )</font>
Heh, heh, heh. I knew you were going to say that!!! Did I mention that my trailer still has two MH axles?

I dunno about that trailer dump though, they can take up a lot of space in your yard. If you need someplace to store it I'm really not that far away. Only about 170 miles or so, and I'd gladly run it down to you if you needed it occasionally!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #9  
[... its got a mobile home axle and tires,which is now a no no in our state.]

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the objection to mobile home axles? Seems like a practical choice.

/ MOBILE HOME AXLE,TIRES,REPLACEMENT? #10  
Its not so much the axles as the tires.. I may be wrong, but I dont think the MH tires are rated for highway use and/or meet DOT requirements.. You can buy DOT rated tires in the same size as MH tires that are legal for use on the road..

BTW - ns_in_tx - What was the cost of changing out the tires/wheels/hubs etc??

thanks
brian

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( [... its got a mobile home axle and tires,which is now a no no in our state.]

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the objection to mobile home axles? Seems like a practical choice. )</font>