Mobile home

/ Mobile home #11  
Most people consider a mobile home as a trailer. It is built in a factory, set on wheels and trucked to a site. There it is blocked up, and the wheels are removed. It can easily be moved at a later time.

A modular home is usually built in a factory in pieces. The sections are trucked to a site and placed on a foundation. Generally, they are not intended to moved again.

This is also my understanding. When we bought ours we toured several different factories and pretty much designed ours to our specs.. Before it was delivered we hired a contractor who specialized in these and he had the footings and foundation ready to go. They delivering company placed the units on the foundation, did any fine tuning on the leveling, using a water level. They then removed all the running gear and the tongues. They took the axles and wheels etc. but left the tongues and said they cannot be used again and I could do as I pleased with them.It was then considered by the county to be a permanent structure. The modern version of a mobile home is now known as a manufactured home.

There is a law in that county that an old style mobile home with aluminum siding, roof and running gear cannot be moved and set up. Most of them end up in Mexico,

Last edited:
   / Mobile home #12  
...Can someone educate me on mobile homes? Anything you can tell me would be more than I currently know.

The most important thing about a mobile home is where you place it on your property...you should put it as far away as possible from anything that could be damaged by a tornado...!

/ Mobile home #13  
Hmmmm "mobile" is a very different word than it once was. Everything is mobile, it seems these days. :)

I have lived in a tiny house on wheels for the last few years. But it certainly won't meet that 500sf minimum.

(yea, I'm that guy. My tractor cost more than my house) View attachment 681422

Looks like your car cost more than your house. Living in a camper is a code violation here.

/ Mobile home #14  
As a counterpoint to some of the above posts....

I've been living in a doublewide for the past 30 years now. Never had one leak in all those years. Or other problems that I can think of. 6" exterior walls with what at the time was called the "Alaska" insulation package, and triple pane windows. Factory-installed wood-burning stove which last year I changed out to a pellet stove. A few years ago the original shingles on the roof were starting to curl so I had a full metal roof put on so I'd not have to worry about it again in my lifetime. And this year I changed out all the original faucets for fancy new ones - also the frost-free sillcocks in the outside walls.

And there is NO particle board in this house of mine. Inside walls are sheetrock. I think some folks are talking about old single wide mobile homes built in the 60s and 70s when they talk about the construction. Also - mine sits on a full basement. Concrete walls/floor with I-beams to support the house. Lots of storage - and if ever I do have to do something with the plumbing like changing out the sillcocks, I can do it on a stepladder instead of lying on my back in a crawl space.

Are you talking about a mobile home, or a manufactured home? There's a huge difference.

Manufactured homes are stick built in a factory. Very similar to built-on-site. Mobile homes, on the other hand, have wheels, axles and a tongue and are, well, mobile.

/ Mobile home #15  
Are some here conflating "mobile homes" with "modular homes"?

I was wondering the same thing.

Modular. Manufactured. Both are pretty much stick built houses, just built on a production line in a factory VS on site.

Mobile homes are very different.

/ Mobile home #16  
The most important thing about a mobile home is where you place it on your property...you should put it as far away as possible from anything that could be damaged by a tornado...!

Iceland has never recorded a tornado!
Maybe a good place for a mobile home?

/ Mobile home #18  

Well then he shouldn't have anything to worry about if he ever leaves FL and moves to Iceland...! :laughing:

now go take your meds...!

/ Mobile home #20  

No tornados, but they have polar bears...

7EE5A77A-4B7B-44D8-9A5A-236B7559BE26.jpeg