Model Advice

/ Model Advice #1  

nova3930

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T494
Been a while since i've been on TBN but needing some advice on a tractor. Been out of the tractor game for a while. I had a NH Boomer 50 when I first bought our property that I used with a flail mower to clear it out. When it got to be just grass mowing I sold it off to go buy a zero turn.

Now the wife is talking about wanting a rather sizable garden so I think another tractor is in order. Since if not for terrain and I-65 in the way I could walk 2 miles due east and hit Fredricks equipment I've been looking at the Yanmars. They seem to fit what I'm looking for in simple, reliable and cheap enough to pay cash. My skid steer also has a 3 cyl 33HP yanmar engine in it so I'm at least a little familiar with their engines.

Question is what model would best suit what I want to do. Mostly looking at using a tiller, bedder and cultivator although I have a notion of using a turning plow at some point maybe just for fun. My land is basically flat and well drained.

My initial inclination is a 2210 since they're listing a 2wd package with a tiller for $6300. Would that be adequate or would it make more sense to step up to something like the 2310 or 2420 with a little more power? Does 2wd make sense or should I spring for 4wd?

Any help is appreciated.

/ Model Advice #2  
My opinion:
If you plan to use a turning plow, you will need more HP and weight than you think you will. With the tiller and willingness to till multiple passes and directions I do not think you would have a need for a turning plow however. I have a 2002D and a 54” tiller (wide enough to till under my tread track), I have with multiple passes tilled ground that had been a yard for 20+ yrs to potting soil consistency.
I have a friend that has a 2wd 2210 and it is a great tractor and has lots of pulling power. The 2210 I think would make a great tractor, if its size matches your needs. If you go with 2wd and since you have planned use of ground engaging implements, I suggest fluid filled rear tires for increased traction.
I would also suggest 4x4 and a loader with your purchase. You will be amazed at the various uses you find for the loader.

/ Model Advice #3  
depending on the size of the plow, you may need more tractor weight.
I find my Kubota MX5100 is too light at times.

For this reason, I just bought a 105 HP tractor

I would look at one mahindra tractors they have at fredricks

/ Model Advice
My opinion:
If you plan to use a turning plow, you will need more HP and weight than you think you will. With the tiller and willingness to till multiple passes and directions I do not think you would have a need for a turning plow however. I have a 2002D and a 54 tiller (wide enough to till under my tread track), I have with multiple passes tilled ground that had been a yard for 20+ yrs to potting soil consistency.

The plow is just a notion. It's not a prime requirement. All of our 16 acres was being farmed till we bought it and the back 10, where our garden spot would be still is, so it's not super compacted. I keep it leased to some farmers so they pay me not to mow :D

I have a friend that has a 2wd 2210 and it is a great tractor and has lots of pulling power. The 2210 I think would make a great tractor, if its size matches your needs. If you go with 2wd and since you have planned use of ground engaging implements, I suggest fluid filled rear tires for increased traction.

I was thinking I might have to go with fluid, but was going to do a try and see.

I would also suggest 4x4 and a loader with your purchase. You will be amazed at the various uses you find for the loader.

The 4x4 I'm open to but I have a skid steer with bucket, auger and forks so I don't really want to drop the $$$ on a loader. That's a lot of $$ for duplicate capability.

/ Model Advice
depending on the size of the plow, you may need more tractor weight.
I find my Kubota MX5100 is too light at times.

For this reason, I just bought a 105 HP tractor

I am talking about a single bottom here in what I'd call light plowing. As I said about that's just a notion, not a requirement. If it won't work it's not a deal breaker.

I would look at one mahindra tractors they have at fredricks

I like the idea of the old international clone they sell but it's just more than I want to spend. Like I say if I stay in the $6-$7k range I can reasonably pay cash by the time I'm ready to buy. $10-$12k not so much. I'm just not interested in financing something that's a want and not a need.

/ Model Advice #6  
I drove from the East side of Atl. to pick this Tiller up from Fredricks. All my Yanmar equipment came from them or one of their supplied Dealers. I purchased it for my mothers garden. Which she's had one for many many yrs.. She up there in age And I'm not doing the walk behind from injury's. It worked really, really good!! Behind a 2wd. 24Hp. Ym2000 and I think the 2210 is 26Hp.?. The tiller is a RS1400. Last one they had so they may have one in better condition. No leveling wheels on this one is all but never had a need for them so all was good. And if I did need them they told me to keep in touch and they would let me know if they had them in. In the pic. 1st pass of the season and it's as low as it would go. Hard Ga. red clay soil and it went through it effortless.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 241
   / Model Advice #7  
That 2210 will do all you want. It will pull a small single bottom with 2wd. Fluid filled tires helps. I have mine filled on my 2000. The larger ones would be nice as well, but is the added cost worth the marginal capability you would gain?

/ Model Advice #8  
I have the Org. Rice Patty rear tires. In the Pic. of my Prev. Reply. Still have them on it. The huge lugs Keep from having to Load the Rears. I even Relined them they work so well. The 2000 is my lawn mower. No problem with the Huge lugs and Honestly in my Opinion they worked better than a garden tractor/Lawnmower from Sears. The foot print is minimal and you just had to wait a day if the ground was saturated from rain. Which my hard soil came into play.................;)

/ Model Advice
I drove from the East side of Atl. to pick this Tiller up from Fredricks. All my Yanmar equipment came from them or one of their supplied Dealers. I purchased it for my mothers garden. Which she's had one for many many yrs.. She up there in age And I'm not doing the walk behind from injury's. It worked really, really good!! Behind a 2wd. 24Hp. Ym2000 and I think the 2210 is 26Hp.?. The tiller is a RS1400. Last one they had so they may have one in better condition. No leveling wheels on this one is all but never had a need for them so all was good. And if I did need them they told me to keep in touch and they would let me know if they had them in. In the pic. 1st pass of the season and it's as low as it would go. Hard Ga. red clay soil and it went through it effortless.

I think the tiller they're offering is the del morino they show on the website but I'm not sure.

Yanmar Ym 221 For Sale in Decatur, AL - Equipment Trader

Yanmar Ym 231 For Sale in Decatur, AL - Equipment Trader

That 2210 will do all you want. It will pull a small single bottom with 2wd. Fluid filled tires helps. I have mine filled on my 2000. The larger ones would be nice as well, but is the added cost worth the marginal capability you would gain?

To your question, I'm not sure. I'm not experience enough in tractors to say. I think the 2210 is my current first choice, but they also have a 2620 for about $1300 more they'd probably make a +tiller deal with. 3 cylinders vs 2 cylinder, about 500lbs more, 8" wider, about a foot longer and +5hp. In terms of accomplishing work how does that compare?

Yanmar Ym 262 For Sale in Decatur, AL - Equipment Trader

/ Model Advice
I have the Org. Rice Patty rear tires. In the Pic. of my Prev. Reply. Still have them on it. The huge lugs Keep from having to Load the Rears. I even Relined them they work so well. The 2000 is my lawn mower. No problem with the Huge lugs and Honestly in my Opinion they worked better than a garden tractor/Lawnmower from Sears. The foot print is minimal and you just had to wait a day if the ground was saturated from rain. Which my hard soil came into play.................;)

Yeah I plan on keeping the ag tires whatever I get. My soil is well drained and it will mostly be used in the field portion of it anyway.