Model m governor closes throttle under load

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load #1  

tilbury53

Tractor
John Deere 1948 model M
I just got my 1948 Model M running. The tractor had sat outside for ten years and the engine was seized . I got it running but the governor is giving me an issue. The governor keeps the throttle closed. The first few seconds it runs the governor moves and closes the throttle and I no longer have throttle control. Control rods all look good and the governor linkage does move. What could I try next.

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load #2  
Sounds like the centrifugal weights in the governor are stuck.

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load
Nope that wasn't it. I took it apart today and everything is free and moving smoothly. Where can I find diagrams of the throttle setup? Should the throttle control arm go up for speed?

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load #4  
Click on the link, and enter the model in the block, then check exact match. It will take a bit to load, but will show list by section of your tractor. Scroll down until you find the selected section and you will see an exploded view of that section of your M. John Deere - Parts Catalog

Hope this helps..!!

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load
Thanks . It helped but I still can't get it to work. The gov seems to be over travelling and it rattles untill I pull it in a bit. Is there a pic somewhere of the linkages in that area. I'd like to check and make sure I didn't mix anything up but it doesn't look possible. Where can I find info on setting up these linkages?

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load #6  
Might be an idea to find a service manual. If you keep the tractor, I'm sure it will come in handy down the road.

/ Model m governor closes throttle under load #7  
Here is the image from the technical manual.

Attachments

• m linkage.png
    m linkage.png
    614 KB · Views: 542