Modern combine pics.

/ Modern combine pics.
Fredex someone is telling you a tale. If a combine won't unload faster than it cuts something is terribly wrong. Even if the crop was that good, the elevator that brings the grain up to the storage tank will not outpace the unloader. Faster unloading is something all manufacturers are working towards. Look at the difference in the diameter of the unloading augers on the 2 combines I posted. The Deere will supposedly unload 3.3 bu/second while the older CIH is a little over half that.

Egon I've got lots of farming pictures from the past several years. Just got a new digi camera for Christmas that'll fit in my shirt pocket so I plan on getting lots more. I'll try to post some rice planting pics shortly that will show how we plant, survey levees to hold the water, and pull the levees.

I traded machines because my older one was 9 years old and was starting to give more trouble than we'd like. In my operation I'm pressed for time at harvest and can't afford to be broke down very often. I changed colors because the new higher capacity Case IH combines don't have a very good reputation in rice country while the big Deere's are doing quite well.

Jimg yes we'll have 2000 acres flooded to a depth of 3-6" using a combination of wells for groundwater and relifts for surface water. In addition to that nearly all of our other crops are irrigated as well but they don't get a permanent flood. In some cases we use center pivot sprinklers but mostly its furrow irrigation. We build raised beds with furrows inbetween that run down hill. Put water in the top of the furrow and it runs to the bottom. The water will soak into the beds.

Planting the rice. We plant approximately 100# of seed/acre with a 30' Great Plains drill.
357028232_30dfe668c4_o.jpg

Surveying the levees. We use a laser surveying system to mark the levees every 2 tenths foot of elevation. This allows us to hold a shallow flood on the fields. For lack of a better explanation the levees are like mini-terraces to those of you from the midwest. We used to use a small tractor for the surveying. I built the bracket to hold the receiver on the front and bought the electrically operated plow for the rear.
357028233_fd3bd133d0_o.jpg

Pulling the levees. This tractor is actually pulling 2 levee plows that I've got hooked in tandem. He follows the mark made by the truck above. A second similar set of plows with a seeder mounted will follow this one so there will be rice growing on the levees as well. We'll tear these down after the crop is harvested.
357028234_7772068032_o.jpg

Making the irrigation furrows. This is a special tool called a bedder-roller for pulling the irrigation furrows and leaving a smooth seedbed in the process. This one is 39' wide. I had trouble with the markers breaking so I've updated the tractor (John Deere 8400T on 24" rubber tracks) to GPS autosteer now.
355388253_ee7ed4caa6_o.jpg

Last edited:
   / Modern combine pics. #12  
RAB__AR said:
Fredex someone is telling you a tale.

Thanks. That was my opinion. Thought I would ask an "unbiased" authority rather than start a useless local debate. Rumors & wild stories get around in these small communities like flu in a kindergarten.

Fred

Thought of the day: The biggest pig always lays down in the trough.

/ Modern combine pics. #13  
Great explanations and pictures. It's always nice to see how things are done.

Thank you again.:D

/ Modern combine pics. #14  
Hi Rab
Thanx very much for taking the time to write and post pics. Do you grow rice for someone (ie have the crop sold before you plant it) or put it in an elevator and sell as the price dictates? BTW Id very much like to see other pics you have on your operation.

/ Modern combine pics. #15  
i spent a great number of years in memphis and make the trip back there from STL MO quite a few times a year. You can see all three of those crops for endless amounts of feilds off the sides of I-55 through AR.

I helped a friend of a friend harvest rice one year. I couldnt "setup" the combine but it was like driveing a really huge lawn mower.

Yes its common around there to pace the combine with the grain bin and have the operator contuously unload. The grain bin (grain waggon whatevery ou call it) then hauls to the edge of the feild to a waiting semi were its offloaded to it. This greatly reduces the amount of down time but the operation takes quite a few people to run. (which is why i was helping) The combine driveing was the simplest (after it was setup) which is why i drove it. You had to be carefull driveng the 4x4 tractor and grain bin through the feild as the levies are quite the little speed bump in a huge tractor. the (large) operation i helped out with had a crew of 5... 2 combines, one tractor/grain bin and 2 semi's. we covered a LOT of ground in the 4 days i helped.

/ Modern combine pics.
Schmism gave a good description of harvest although I have to disagree when he says the combine is the easiest part. Our farm has a lot more levees than the area he was harvesting in. Crossing numerous levees all the while keeping the header in the rice is daunting at times. I would say driving the trucks are by far easier. Here are some pics of our harvest operation from a couple years ago. Sorry I don't have any field action shots.

358361274_14a0075f1d_o.jpg

358361277_099ec158cd_o.jpg

358361280_941e9f6c94_o.jpg

/ Modern combine pics. #17  
mmmmmmmmmm big toys....

something about the men and the boys and the size of there toys....

/ Modern combine pics. #18  
Thanks RAB__AR for the photos and explainations. I'm grew up on Iowa dairy, hog, cattle farm with corn, soybeans, oats and alfalfa in the fields. It is neat to see how American farmers grow rice. You know when one grows up on a dairy farm there isn't any vacation time. You have a nice looking operation.

/ Modern combine pics. #19  
Great pics RAB, thanks for posting. I love seeing how the "real" equipment is used. Looks like you have a pretty impressive operation there.

/ Modern combine pics. #20  
RAB, how does the tracked JD handle the rice fields compared to the rubber tired tractors? Or is it used mostly for the seedbed prep?