Modern Pow'r Pup questions

/ Modern Pow'r Pup questions
Not a very big one. I just fixed one on a 4x4 JD tractor (about 30 hp) and it is tiny. I would guess about a 3/4" rod and a 1.25 bore. Depending on the geometry of the set up the stroke will have to be determined.
Thank you. Wasn't sure, was searching a bit on Google images to see if I could find threads on it, but mostly now all that shows up is garbage from Pinterest.
Not really, there is a difference in the dimensions, the Cat 1 is wider and probably taller. There are spec charts online, or do a search on this forum, they've been posted before.
5/8" upper and lower pins and 20" wide lower arm spacing. Cat 1 is 7/8" lower pins and 3/4" upper and 28" wide spacing. Horsepower wise to me is a wash, but I think might go with a higher up engine, just not sure what yet. Been kind of thinking maybe small diesel from Carroll Stream like their 10hp Yanmar L100 clone or the L70 clone 6hp, otherwise probably a Predator 420. Either way I'm putting an alternator on it l, just because the small stator doesn't produce enough power for the LED lights I have currently.

TractorData.com - Three-Point Hitch

Last edited:
   / Modern Pow'r Pup questions #22  
So for a while I've been wanting to build a pow'r pup tractor. Older plans call for using a Ford Model A axle and 3 speed transmission, however both are incredibly hard to get a hold of. I was thinking using a Ford 9" or 8.8" rear axle and a 3 speed with granny gear transmission (T18 or Sm465) and cut the axle to about 40" overall. One thing the plans never stated was doing steering brakes. I was thinking just using two master cylinders on 2 brake pedals and blocking off one of the lines on the master cylinder and just run one line to each brake. However I'm not 100% sure that would even work. Option 2 was to just run the emergency brake cables to the pedals instead of having hydraulic brakes, but I'm not sure if that would be effective enough.

Another option I thought of doing was using a Peerless 820 transaxle and just do 2 8" go kart disc brakes on the axles. However my plans for the tractor are using it for plowing a garden, discing/cultivating, snowplowing or front loader. I'm not sure how well that transaxle would hold up to any of those tasks. I'd like to stay with the more traditional design and use truck parts vs garden tractor parts.

I have a background in welding and have decent fabrication skills. I tend to over build things so they can hold up to abuse without trouble. Frame would be 2"x4"x10ga rectangle tubing. Cat 0 hydraulic 3 point hitch. Harbor Freight 420cc Predator engine with a GM 3 wire alternator.

Your 2 master cylinders is a good idea and will work.. line locks look easy but in order to lock them you have to apply the break anyway to lock it. that will be a problem.

/ Modern Pow'r Pup questions #23  
Thank you. Wasn't sure, was searching a bit on Google images to see if I could find threads on it, but mostly now all that shows up is garbage from Pinterest.5/8" upper and lower pins and 20" wide lower arm spacing. Cat 1 is 7/8" lower pins and 3/4" upper and 28" wide spacing. Horsepower wise to me is a wash, but I think might go with a higher up engine, just not sure what yet. Been kind of thinking maybe small diesel from Carroll Stream like their 10hp Yanmar L100 clone or the L70 clone 6hp, otherwise probably a Predator 420. Either way I'm putting an alternator on it l, just because the small stator doesn't produce enough power for the LED lights I have currently.

TractorData.com - Three-Point Hitch
Why not go bigger engine? A small pump for 3pt steering and attachments will eat up that 10 hp so you don't have any power to do anything besides drive around

Why not go bigger engine? A small pump for 3pt steering and attachments will eat up that 10 hp so you don't have any power to do anything besides drive around
Realistically, how much larger? Supposedly that 10hp diesel is the replacement for a 20hp gas engine. I guess it'll depend on what I can get a hold of reasonably.

/ Modern Pow'r Pup questions #25  
Realistically, how much larger? Supposedly that 10hp diesel is the replacement for a 20hp gas engine. I guess it'll depend on what I can get a hold of reasonably.

What size tractor are you comparing your build to??

After being mentioned, I'm racking around the idea of maybe building it as 4wd, probably a Np205 transfercase. As a lot of Scut and cut tractors that a 4wd have smaller tires in the front and taller in the rear, how would I go about as far as geari g goes for the front differential? I'm pretty set on 4.56 for the rear. But I have no idea for the front. All though I could save the hassle and just go some size tires front and rear (possibility but I like to have options open).

/ Modern Pow'r Pup questions #28  
Use the same sized tires front and back and the same axle ratios front and back.

Use the same sized tires front and back and the same axle ratios front and back.
Thank you. Is there a particular vehicle rim size I should look for like say 16" or maybe taller to use? I'd prefer to use Ag tires.

/ Modern Pow'r Pup questions #30  
Thank you. Is there a particular vehicle rim size I should look for like say 16" or maybe taller to use? I'd prefer to use Ag tires.
I would look for 15 or 16 in rims. One option to look into since your using truck parts is to look at some mud tires. Can get cheap used around here and would possibly do better one winter then ag tires