Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #31  
The seat safety switches can usually be defeated easily. However, I've never done it - you just get accustomed to getting out of the seat with the tractor stopped and your PTO off and your feet off the pedals.

This works mostly fine right up until you have something like a PTO chipper. Then it's time to get rid of the nannies (or at least have a switch or jumper you can easily and quickly install) unless you want to turn 1 person jobs into 2 person jobs.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #32  
This works mostly fine right up until you have something like a PTO chipper. Then it's time to get rid of the nannies (or at least have a switch or jumper you can easily and quickly install) unless you want to turn 1 person jobs into 2 person jobs.
Our Kubota L3830 is set up such that if you flip the seat forward before you turn on the PTO, it runs just fine. If you turn on the PTO with the seat down it will turn off unless you were sitting in it.

Aaron Z

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #33  
Our Kubota L3830 is set up such that if you flip the seat forward before you turn on the PTO, it runs just fine. If you turn on the PTO with the seat down it will turn off unless you were sitting in it.

That seems pretty well thought out. I'm taking delivery of a B2650 today and will give that a try before doing anything more aggressive. Thanks!

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #34  
Reading some of these posts makes me appreciate my tractor even more. The only safety feature related to this thread is I have to be sitting in the seat to start it which is fine with me. But at 65 hp I'm not sure mine would be considered a CUT or not, maybe that is the difference.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine
I believe all modern Deere’s can run the rear PTO just fine with the operator out of the seat and the tractor in neutral. The only one that relies on an operator in the seat is the mid PTO.

This is how my old 855 works, for the rear PTO. On later 855’s they even eliminated the need to pull the seat up. The mid-PTO (for mower deck and snowblower) cannot be run without an operator in the seat, tho.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #36  
That Kubota set up doe seem like a great solution, until it gets older and can provide just one more, no-start scenario.

Last edited:
   / Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #37  
That Kubota set up doe seem like a great solution, until it gets older and can provide just one more, no-start scenereo.
It is at the point where I need to run some contact cleaner through the switch as it occasionally gets persnickety about being all the way down (doesn't like me leaning forward in the seat).

Aaron Z