Modern tractor to replace mf135

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #11  
Hi folks, I have a mf135 that I've been running for 5 years. Tractor runs great, it's continental gas engine. But it's1967. I' worried about what could break next on it. I would like to get a modern tractor that would compare to the 135 strength wise. I would not like to go lower in HP because I use it for snowblowing . What would be a good comparable? I've seen a Kubota bx2380 for sale, but looks under power compare to my MF135? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
If your 135 doe the job for you, keep it and save your money. ANYTHING you buy new will be more trouble down the the road than that 135 will ever be. At least when something goes wrong with it you can find someone who knows how to fix it. With the new stuff it just doesn't work that way..

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #12  
I agree with Harry, keep the MF135. But no reason why not to add a newer machine to the mix. The newer ones really are better and more comfortable. But won't match that 135 in reliability.
If you look newer, look in the 2000 to 2012 era. The last era before emissions control went onto everything.

My good friend had a Massey Ferguson 135 he made hay with on 8 irrigated acres. It was bought used from a mowing operation about 1990 and was a lovely machine - a gas continental - with the standard transmission and no optional power steering. It had about 5000 hours and ran like a clock. That 135 never needed anything except a fuel pump and periodic carburettor cleanings for almost 30 years. Nothing elver broke. Making hay on a small farm is the perfect job for it. Unfortunately it was in a barn that burnt and totally destroyed. Otherwise I am sure that it would still be going strong.

Not having power steering, it was never suitable for a FEL, and that was the only drawback - but it was the perfect 3pt & PTO machine. He used a rear 3pt bucket when carrying things. The main drawback was that as he got older he really needed a FEL to save his back - but that Massy was so nice he stubbornly refused to change. It has become a family member....

They are an unusually heavily built 45 hp tractor. HOWEVER, IMHO, you will need to go to about a 60 hp Kubota or similar make to have the same combination of stability, low rpm torque, and quiet power. Kubota makes a number of 60 hp tractors, that size is one of their best.

I'd keep the MF135. You won't get much for it today, but even today nobody makes a better 3pt open utility tractor for 3pt work. And yes, do get a modern tractor. Get power steering and modern conveniences.That's what we did. It's much more comfortable to operate.
We kept the old one for a few chores and got a modern Kubota too. 15 years ago, and very glad we did.
rScotty

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #13  
Tipton, 135 mf is a great tractor. And if you are use to it new ones are not going to handle like it. It’s a row crop tractor made to handle nimble turning in the field whether cultivating or raking hay or any task given. Looks to me like modern tractors have only pulling in mind. I’m old, and I like my old equipment best and I have both

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #14  
My tractors aren't super new, all 2007.
However when I sit on some of the old boys I realize how much more comfortable the newer ones are.
Grew up without power steering. Couldn't live without it now.
Nice suspension seat.
Multiple hydraulic remotes.
A 8x8 tranny with shuttle makes loader work a breeze.
Ergonomic pedals.
Have you tried to start some of those old machines when it's cold outside.
My MF563s start without glow plugs when it's 5-10F with a turn of the key.
Everybody says the old stuff was better.
Maybe easier to repair a simple machine.
Hop on a new machine and you won't go back.
The MF2600h series has the benefit of no regen or fluid needed to meet emissions.

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #15  
I would like to get a modern tractor that would compare to the 135 strength wise. What would be a good comparable?

Massey Ferguson 135​

Dimensions
Gas Operating weight2940 lbs
1333 kg

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #16  
Having grown up on and alot of time on a 135 (with the Continental Z145 gas engine, multipower transmission) as a kid and adult, I now have a Mahindra 2638. The Mahindra 2638 will do everything the 135 will do with more traction, a more comfortable seat, eaiser to get on and off, equal to less fuel use and more maneuverable. The upsides to the 135 are being able to reach back and adjust the toplink from the seat and you can see the 3 point arms better from the seat.

Physically the 2638 and 135 are very much the same size and weight, powerwise they are similar enough when running a 6' bushhog in thick grass.

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135
If your 135 doe the job for you, keep it and save your money. ANYTHING you buy new will be more trouble down the the road than that 135 will ever be. At least when something goes wrong with it you can find someone who knows how to fix it. With the new stuff it just doesn't work that way..
I'm really thinking about that option

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135
Tipton, 135 mf is a great tractor. And if you are use to it new ones are not going to handle like it. It’s a row crop tractor made to handle nimble turning in the field whether cultivating or raking hay or any task given. Looks to me like modern tractors have only pulling in mind. I’m old, and I like my old equipment best and I have both
Yes I guess I will keep it up in shape. The more I read , the more I find that I'm lucky to have a good mf135

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #19  
I read somewhere that the 135 is one of the most sought after tractors around. There are lots of pluses for the old girl. The drive train has twice the beef of most new tractors even fifty hp or more. OEM, aftermarket, and used parts are always available. With many of the new tractors sold today OEM replacement parts can disappear entirely in five years or so. Yes a great many people have them and are quite happy with them, but there are also plenty of horror stories as well. I doubt any fifty hp tractors sold today will will still be out working in forty five years like your 135.

/ Modern tractor to replace mf135 #20  
I would go after a MF 1850M/1860M power shuttle, open station, or the 26M series. I would consider keeping the 135, if you can, just because it's not going to have very much resale value (max $4k on a good day, maybe like $2500 for a quick sale?).

Last edited: