Modifying Your Grapple

/ Modifying Your Grapple #1  

Zork

Platinum Member
Tractor
'04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48
I have an Express Steel grapple that has the lower shelf. I did some research and watched many videos comparing the two designs and limitations before deciding on this model & manufacturer. And after a few uses I realized the very same limitations with this design that the clamshell root rake might do better. However, the clamshell root rake has limitations that a traditional grapple doesn't have.
20230524_183540.jpg
Screenshot_20230806_070501_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230714_210512_Blink.jpg

Now that I have seen the Iron Fist, I am wondering if a simple modification to the grapple is needed or even possible.
Just a thought for you all as I ponder my own measure, chop, chop, weld, measure (×2), chop, and weld skills.

iron20fist20grapple202-2-3738f410b01f4c53929235e16c06d990.png

Here is a link to a video of an Iron Fist. It's modular. Funny how we do things as we always have until someone creates something new, with limitations, but the actions/concept opens up all types of new ideas, thank you! I'm thinking of a simple mod to our standard grapples to accomplish similar behaviors.

Last edited:
   / Modifying Your Grapple #2  
I think you might be complicating the grapple design for little or no benefit. I have a very HD root grapple. It does just fine on large & small rocks - large and small diameter tree trunks - brush.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg

/ Modifying Your Grapple #3  
Personally I'd want to keep it light, a mechanism like that will add a lot of weight and reduce your CUT lift capacity.

I was considering adding a single articulated thumb to my forks for handling large bundles of long logs. My old clamshell bucket didn't do a good job of it and I'd be losing logs if I tried carrying more than 3 at a time. My forks could handle large grabs but it ended up being like using only two chop sticks to grab a dozen logs. Any imbalance in one log and the load would fall apart.

My new twin lid long bottom grapple does a much better job with brush and logs than my clamshell did. The clamshell had way too small capacity and grip for my CUT.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #4  
I have a weight limit - 3000 pounds. At that max weight I also have a lift limit. It's called "knuckle dragging".

Tree trunks never go beyond the 3K limit. I cut them to length to stay under. Rocks are a different story. Like my log weight chart - I also have a rock weight chart.

Any rock over 2500# - I find an alternate method to move - other than the grapple.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #5  
It seems from your post that what you would prefer is a grapple that grabs one log as easily as multiple logs.

The interesting part is there is a simple grapple that already does that. It is lighter and cheaper than root-style grapples. Check out Frost bite grapples.

It does everything it appears you want to do, and is still very effective at picking up piles of branches, etc.

I'm always amazed so few people have/use this style of grapple.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #6  
What is it about your grapple that isn't doing what you want?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect grapple.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #7  
It seems from your post that what you would prefer is a grapple that grabs one log as easily as multiple logs.

The interesting part is there is a simple grapple that already does that. It is lighter and cheaper than root-style grapples. Check out Frost bite grapples.

It does everything it appears you want to do, and is still very effective at picking up piles of branches, etc.

I bought a frostbite grapple to replace the greens machine thumb on my forks since my primary grapple use is for logging and timber handling. It is perfect for that use far superior to the grapple forks and not excessively heavy though it is very solidly built.

/ Modifying Your Grapple
What is it about your grapple that isn't doing what you want?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect grapple.
Aside from my initial learning curve in operating it, really nothing. I dont regret buying it; I was just thinking about improving it since I saw the Iron Fist. I'm just looking over the fence at my neighbors grapple thinking its design is a good idea. Of course I want to scoop more and make less trips, but that should come with experience. So far it has done everything I have needed. I've got some large parallel brush piles I will try moving when it gets colder, as I want to give any birds or wasps time to vacate.

/ Modifying Your Grapple
   / Modifying Your Grapple

No, just thinking about making this one better.