Moldboard plow?

/ Moldboard plow? #12  
We use a 3tm 3pth Kvernland 14" plow to turn over sod when we are replanting a hayfield. A couple years ago a neighbor found a "disc" plow at an auction that we use quite a bit. It has 3 large 24" disks mounted just like a moldboard plow and it will slice and turn over sod and does a slick job on roots, poison ivy and raspeberry bushes. What we've been doing is disc plowing a field, disc harrowing it, and planting barley or millet for a year. Then running a 3 btm plow, disc harrow, and culti packer and a brillon to replant as a hayfield.
The corn guys around us are split between min till and full till. We have a pretty short growing season and lots of rocks in the fields.

/ Moldboard plow? #13  
Kverneland are the bees knees as ploughs go but ploughing does not suit all soil types as here . Just far too heavy land, Although we are heavy till only ever working the top 4 inches in the fall several times and seed direct in the spring . -35 takes care of compaction .

/ Moldboard plow? #14  
We use a 3tm 3pth Kvernland 14" plow to turn over sod when we are replanting a hayfield. A couple years ago a neighbor found a "disc" plow at an auction that we use quite a bit. It has 3 large 24" disks mounted just like a moldboard plow and it will slice and turn over sod and does a slick job on roots, poison ivy and raspeberry bushes. What we've been doing is disc plowing a field, disc harrowing it, and planting barley or millet for a year. Then running a 3 btm plow, disc harrow, and culti packer and a brillon to replant as a hayfield.
The corn guys around us are split between min till and full till. We have a pretty short growing season and lots of rocks in the fields.

The "Disc Plow" is probably the best tool for New Ground or soil with a lot of roots. I bought this 2 10 inch Ford from a fellow that was using it in roots and he has slightly notched the blades to make it even more effective in the roots. This is the smallest Disc plow that I have seen. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• ford2-discplow-furrowwheelniceback895.JPG
    ford2-discplow-furrowwheelniceback895.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 517
  • ford2-discplow-furrowwheelnicefront895.JPG
    ford2-discplow-furrowwheelnicefront895.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 324
   / Moldboard plow? #16  
We collect a few Farmall Cubs and dad has always told me of the mid mount disk plows they had for new ground as a kid. He got a new gard spot and was wanting to open it up a bit. I was in Cullman AL and on a n old equipment yard ad found one in great shape. I bought it for dad Bday for 150 bucks and cleaned it up and painted it. I was amazed when dad brought me some 3 inch gum roots he cut like butter. He also turned under my tall thick cover crop of oats. and some wild grasses and stalks that would have plugged my 2 bottom Ferguson plow.

/ Moldboard plow? #17  
Taylortractornut said:
We collect a few Farmall Cubs and dad has always told me of the mid mount disk plows they had for new ground as a kid. He got a new gard spot and was wanting to open it up a bit. I was in Cullman AL and on a n old equipment yard ad found one in great shape. I bought it for dad Bday for 150 bucks and cleaned it up and painted it. I was amazed when dad brought me some 3 inch gum roots he cut like butter. He also turned under my tall thick cover crop of oats. and some wild grasses and stalks that would have plugged my 2 bottom Ferguson plow.

Sure would be great to see a picture of that device. Sounds impressive.

/ Moldboard plow? #18  
Ken, I'm impressed most people have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about with the Disc plow. The one we use is an Atlas. And you right I've never seen a plow that can handle brushy conditions like it. Usually I get the worst case of poision ivy in the spring trying to untangle roots from a plow, but that thing just slices and dices them. Also it seems the faster you pull it the better it does. Not the best tool for rocky fields I broke one disc last year. For a moldboard plow we have to run auto resets. Or you spend as much time backing up to reset as you do driving forward.
You don't happen to have a 3 or 4 btm disc do you? Seems like they where popular for a bit in the 40s and 50s and dropped out of fashion quickly.

/ Moldboard plow? #19  
Ken, I'm impressed most people have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about with the Disc plow. The one we use is an Atlas. And you right I've never seen a plow that can handle brushy conditions like it. Usually I get the worst case of poision ivy in the spring trying to untangle roots from a plow, but that thing just slices and dices them. Also it seems the faster you pull it the better it does. Not the best tool for rocky fields I broke one disc last year. For a moldboard plow we have to run auto resets. Or you spend as much time backing up to reset as you do driving forward.
You don't happen to have a 3 or 4 btm disc do you? Seems like they where popular for a bit in the 40s and 50s and dropped out of fashion quickly.

This is all I have currently. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• athens2-discplowscrappers-jackstandside895.JPG
    athens2-discplowscrappers-jackstandside895.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 296
  • fergusondiscplowfront695.JPG
    fergusondiscplowfront695.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 194
  • moderndiscplow5discweightboxside795.JPG
    moderndiscplow5discweightboxside795.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 293
   / Moldboard plow? #20  
Got to put my 2-cents worth in here since I plowed a lot of land with a 2-14 plow behind a JD tractor when I was growing up. Everybody used moldboard plows then. One man I knew made a living just sharpening plow shares for farmers.
For a person who has never plowed with a moldboard plow, but is now going to start, there are two important points: the plow must be adjusted to where each share is cutting at the same depth. Too complicated to describe here on how to adjust the plow - just stop out in the middle of the field and carefully dig with a square-point shovel, behind the plow, down to the depth of the cut of each plowshare. If you dig carefully, keeping the shovel level, you'll easily see how much is needed to adjust the plow depth-levers to get an even cut.
Second, you must be careful to establish "live furrow" (where the dirt, on the second trip through the field, is thrown up against the dirt from the first trip through the field) and the "dead furrow" (where the plow, being pulled in one direction, is up against freshly turned dirt on its left side, leaving a "ditch" type appearance in the field. It is every important that the next plowing (next year?) of the field be started by plowing a "live furrow" over the top of the old "dead furrow". This keeps the ground across the field level. And, if a real good job of plowing is done your new plowing of the field will result in the new "dead furrow" being done at the same location of the old "live furrow"