Moles?

/ Moles? #11  
You need to get rid of the grubs in the yard. After that the moles wil be gone... nothing to eat

Piperflyer is correct but I don't think it's a good idea to kill off all those beneficial grubs and insects in your soil. If you have moles...take it as a compliment to your excellent soil. If your soil is crap then you won't have moles. They eat those grubs and bugs.

You can remove their food supply and they will move on but at the cost of killing off an important part of your subsurface ecosystem (you can argue moles are part of the ecosystem but they are expendable in my opinion...especially in light of the physical damage they cause). Plus you will be dumping poison into your soil and possibly into your ground water (keep in mind if you're on a well and how deep the well is).

/ Moles?
Shimon,
Thanks for the excellent advice, never heard of the Victor Scissor Trap, looks like a great idea to solve my problem with too many moles.
thanks, DevilDog

/ Moles?
Piperflyer is correct but I don't think it's a good idea to kill off all those beneficial grubs and insects in your soil. If you have moles...take it as a compliment to your excellent soil. If your soil is crap then you won't have moles. They eat those grubs and bugs.

You can remove their food supply and they will move on but at the cost of killing off an important part of your subsurface ecosystem (you can argue moles are part of the ecosystem but they are expendable in my opinion...especially in light of the physical damage they cause). Plus you will be dumping poison into your soil and possibly into your ground water (keep in mind if you're on a well and how deep the well is).

Wow!
Thank you for offering an other perspective view of soil conditions. I really appreciate the many responses on this question. But seeing that we just had 2 heavy frost nights here I think I'll just leave things as they are. Maybe the cold winter and snow will take care of issue for me. After all it is only a grass lawn right?
DevilDog

/ Moles? #14  
i haven't tried the sissor trap, but i have used another victor trap with good success: so then i bought a look alike at lowes an haven't killed a mole since: i know, its just a coincidence, but i have fished a couple out of the wifes pool: i am going to pick up a coulple of the sissor traps an see if they will work better an maybe, be easier to set. ya trip on one of those dang mole runs, an turn your ankle, an you'll decide they ain't a compliment to your soil condition any more.
heehaw

/ Moles? #15  
i am going to pick up a coulple of the sissor traps an see if they will work better an maybe, be easier to set.

The scissor traps do work well as long as you place them properly. They must be set in the middle of an active tunnel. You can't just drop them in a mole hole unless that mole hole is a through tunnel. Read the info on the Mole Man page I linked in a previous post...he gives an excellent description on how to properly set these traps.

/ Moles? #16  
If you have vacuum trucks in the area hire one to come in and suck up the little critters!

/ Moles? #17  
I use to think grubs were the only reason you got moles but I can tell you that I have no grubs in my lawn and still get plenty of moles. I have a healthy population of earth worms which are also on their diet. Just to follow up on the Mole Stop treatment, the castor oil is not poisonous so it's not dangerous to any domestic pets or wildlife, just unpleasant to the moles, (and young children :D)

I have a different model of the victor scissor trap and it's worked a few times but most times it just seems the moles don't come back where I put it. After a couple weeks I give up and move it and the wait starts over. You do have to pic an active tunnel, which I thought I did, but it can be tricky.

/ Moles? #18  
It's an age old problem.

That being said, there is a certain amount of pleasure to be had in using explosives. I offer as exhibit A:

HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60g8DjwqYE

That's for an exaggerated infestation. Now for your particular problem.

Remove the food source and voila, you're a genius, No more moles. Their chief food source is grub worms.

Spread any number of grub worm insecticides around your property and you'll soon have no vermin.

Or you could sit up all night, every night, with enhanced vision goggles and a small caliber firearm. Hoping to catch a glimpse of the desperado and
cause great bodily injury to befall him/her. That is, unless you're too late and now you have to deal with off spring.

In which case, we're back to option #1...:thumbsup: Oh, and takes lots of videos, please. I just love a good explosion in some one elses back yard.

In simple terms, what you are attempting to do with the insecticide is make your other neighbors yard (Or the rest of the world for that matter) look more enticing than yours.

The choice is yours but I'm not giving up on some videos being posted of the explosions in your yard.:laughing:

/ Moles? #19  
I found out yesterday I got some free help with the moles. A crow came in an took one away free of xcharge.