Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #221  
Awesome news. Congratulations!!!!

Now that you have it back, how are you going to make sure they don't steel it again?

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup...
Excellent question...

Have several options...

Semi-retire her Corolla

Make sure I drive her to Doctor Appointments... which I was, except the hospital had a break in that night and I was with the police giving a statement at the same time of her appointment.

Use a club... police say on older cars it is very effective... even as a visual deterent... and I have seen several Corollas of her vintage using Clubs.

Did think about Lojack... kind of an expensive option.

I guess there is always the boot... ;-)

Every morning on the way to work... I pass a home where a plumber lives... he actually puts a boot on his van every night... plus all the windows have mesh screen and all the doors have extra secure roundlocks added... the van is maybe a year old... I guess if you can't secure it... it's not yours.

After originally waiting and not finding her car... I did buy a 2011 Corolla for her... which is much harder to steel because it has a factory alarm and they have a chipped key...

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #223  
Congratulations UR ! :thumbsup:

Your persistence paid off; it must be good to see your Mom smile about this now.

Rgds, D.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #224  
I did buy a 2011 Corolla for her... which is much harder to steel because it has a factory alarm and they have a chipped key...

After driving the newer car for awhile does she even like the older car as much? Nostalgia is nice but newer is usually better in a car.

She likes the 2011 well enough... it is larger than the 2001...

She doesn't use any of the extra features... blue tooth, trip computer, CD player, satellite radio, etc.... one thing she really does like is the remote entry key and the fold down rear seat she also likes...

The new one being larger also feels larger and really rolls along...

Mom has one mile of a fairly steep hill to navigate coming and going home... she always put the 2001 in 2nd and it did just fine... the 2011 in 2nd has no where near the braking power going down the hill of the 2001... 1st is more comparable but the motor still races... must be geared higher?

Both have 4 spd automatic...

The 2001 is California built the 2011 is Canada...

The 2001 is definitely the mileage champ and she has averaged as high as 40 with it before on trips... too early to tell with the 2011...

Still glad to have the 2001 back... very much so.

/ Moms car stolen today while at Doctor's office for a checkup... #226  
So any photos of her Car?

Attachments

• 027_24.JPG
    027_24.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 010_7.JPG
    010_7.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 105
  • 035_32.JPG
    035_32.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 116
And this one from the day it came home...

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    525.3 KB · Views: 156
Today's newspaper listed the worst spots in the country for auto theft and all 10 are on the West Coast except for Odessa TX.

Figures the number one nationwide is San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward California and Mom's car was recovered in Hayward CA...

Makes it even more fortunate the car was not parted out or wrecked...

Today's newspaper listed the worst spots in the country for auto theft and all 10 are on the West Coast except for Odessa TX.

Figures the number one nationwide is San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward California and Mom's car was recovered in Hayward CA...

Makes it even more fortunate the car was not parted out or wrecked...

U.S. Cities With The Most Stolen Cars