Mono-LASIK, who's done it?

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #21  
I suppose everyone reacts a little differently. 2 of my daughters and one son in law have had Lasik in the last 10 years or so. My son in law has to use drops all the time to moisten the eye but neither of my daughters have had any problems. They both still have 20/20 or better vision but my son in law says his eyes are getting a little weak now. It could be the 50+ age on him compared to the 30 something daughters. My wifes sister and her husband did the slice and cut type correction (forgot the name of that now) but they both have to wear glasses now after 20 years and they are told that now they cant do Lasik after that type of surgery.
So it seems everyone reacts a bit differently, so with side effects while others are perfect.
I wish I were a candidate for it, but last time I went for glasses, I was told the only thing they could do is correct one eye for close up and one for far away and I don't know if I could get used to that. A friend had it done and said he adapted pretty quickly. It just seems to me that one would have poor depth perception with eyesight like that.

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #22  
I suppose everyone reacts a little differently. 2 of my daughters and one son in law have had Lasik in the last 10 years or so. My son in law has to use drops all the time to moisten the eye but neither of my daughters have had any problems. They both still have 20/20 or better vision but my son in law says his eyes are getting a little weak now. It could be the 50+ age on him compared to the 30 something daughters. My wifes sister and her husband did the slice and cut type correction (forgot the name of that now) but they both have to wear glasses now after 20 years and they are told that now they cant do Lasik after that type of surgery.
So it seems everyone reacts a bit differently, so with side effects while others are perfect.
I wish I were a candidate for it, but last time I went for glasses, I was told the only thing they could do is correct one eye for close up and one for far away and I don't know if I could get used to that. A friend had it done and said he adapted pretty quickly. It just seems to me that one would have poor depth perception with eyesight like that.

Radial keratonomy (spelling ?) was one of the first procedures, used radial slices on the eye...

Rich

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #23  
I am on week three of post-cataract/astigmatism correction. Now I have 20/20 in my left eye and will have the other eye done on Thursday. My left eye was so bad, I couldn't read the big E on the eye chart. Other than looking pretty silly with only one lens in my glasses, it was the best 10 minutes I ever spent in Surgery. :thumbsup:

Agreed !!!

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it?
Here's an update on my LASIK procedure that was performed yesterday. First, let me answer why I only had the LASIK correction operation on one eye. They actually call it mono-vision. Because I have an extremely mild correction for distance and no correction for reading, it's very common to just correct one eye for distance (typically your shooting eye). This should allow you to be totally glasses free. If they corrected both eyes for distance, there's a good likelihood I'd need readers for close up. The brain usually adjusts in a short period of time to the differing eyes (they do this commonly with contacts). In the rare case where your brain just can't adjust to it, they can always make a correction to the other eye. It's worth a try to see if you can be totally glasses free first.

Regarding the LASIK surgery yesterday, things didn't quite go as planned. As they were cutting the flap, they lost suction on the eye, resulting in the flap being only partially cut and a risk that if they tried to continue cutting the flap, there stood a risk of a visual defect. So they stopped the LASIK procedure and regrouped. (It kind of freaks you out when they retract the gear from you and you think you're done, only to be informed they had a problem!) Upon review and consult with the doctor, it was decided to perform PRK instead.

The end result between PRK and LASIK are the same. With LASIK, they cut a flap, peel it back and then use the laser to contour inside the eye. With PRK, they use the laser to contour the external part of the eye. The benefit with LASIK is that you have a quicker recovery with less discomfort. The drawback to PRK is a longer stabilization and initial hazy vision and discomfort. It also requires some additional post-op check-ups and they'll leave in the protective contact for up to a week. True stabilization of vision after PRK can take up to 3 months or longer.

I'm a little concerned with the longer recovery, but I think it will still work out. I'll give an update in another week or so.

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #25  
Brave person to go mono-vision without trying it in contacts at first.. My wife is an OD and has had some patients that loved mono-vision and others that could not get used to it.. Our neighbor just got her cataract surgery done with mono-vision.

Personally I have done it with contacts and it was acceptable - not great.. It only took about 15 minutes for my brain to adjust..

brian

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #26  
Here's an update on my LASIK procedure that was performed yesterday. First, let me answer why I only had the LASIK correction operation on one eye. They actually call it mono-vision. Because I have an extremely mild correction for distance and no correction for reading, it's very common to just correct one eye for distance (typically your shooting eye). This should allow you to be totally glasses free. If they corrected both eyes for distance, there's a good likelihood I'd need readers for close up. The brain usually adjusts in a short period of time to the differing eyes (they do this commonly with contacts). In the rare case where your brain just can't adjust to it, they can always make a correction to the other eye. It's worth a try to see if you can be totally glasses free first.

Regarding the LASIK surgery yesterday, things didn't quite go as planned. As they were cutting the flap, they lost suction on the eye, resulting in the flap being only partially cut and a risk that if they tried to continue cutting the flap, there stood a risk of a visual defect. So they stopped the LASIK procedure and regrouped. (It kind of freaks you out when they retract the gear from you and you think you're done, only to be informed they had a problem!) Upon review and consult with the doctor, it was decided to perform PRK instead.

The end result between PRK and LASIK are the same. With LASIK, they cut a flap, peel it back and then use the laser to contour inside the eye. With PRK, they use the laser to contour the external part of the eye. The benefit with LASIK is that you have a quicker recovery with less discomfort. The drawback to PRK is a longer stabilization and initial hazy vision and discomfort. It also requires some additional post-op check-ups and they'll leave in the protective contact for up to a week. True stabilization of vision after PRK can take up to 3 months or longer.

I'm a little concerned with the longer recovery, but I think it will still work out. I'll give an update in another week or so.

good luck, hope everything works out !!

rich

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #27  
I had the PRK done no flap they just reshape your eye , with what i had took about 1 month to get good vision but i was blind as a bat before the surgery i also had the blended vision done left eye is for reqading right eye is for distance that in its self is a ***** to get used to.

doing great now but it took a good year to fully see the results

but like i said i had coke bottle glass so my eyes were bad lol

Jeff

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #28  

gary check my post above and PM me if you need to

Jeff

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #29  

Hope that you recover quickly for your hunting trip! Best wishes!

I

/ Mono-LASIK, who's done it? #30  
It will take a while with the PRK don't freak out like idid when you get the triple vision when healing, i thought i was going blind...

the PRK is a lot more stable of a procedure if you read i think in the us service branches only PRK is allowed