Montana 2844HST "Automatic Parking Brake"?

/ Montana 2844HST "Automatic Parking Brake"? #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
The company I retired from last year has a Montana 2844 that was purchased around 2008. Was back there today playing with the tractor and every time I applied the brakes, the parking brake engaged and I had to reach down and manually release it. What's up with that? Surely there's a lever somewhere I didn't notice.

/ Montana 2844HST "Automatic Parking Brake"?
ANSWER - The right brake pedal engages the parking brake. On tractors I'm familiar with, the left brake pedal applies the left brake and the right pedal applies the right brake. The Montana has what appears to be that same setup but isn't.

When the two brake pedals are tied together with the little rod that resembles a gate bolt or barrel slide between the pedals, the parking brake is activated and must be manually released.

When the two pedals are not connected, the left pedal applies braking power (not sure if it's the left wheel only or both). The right pedal applies the parking brake which must manually be released in the same way as described above. The pedals are close enough together that even if you're aware of how they work, it's really easy to tramp on both pedals at the same time.