Mowing Montana 4940C with a flail mower..

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #1  

Texasgreen

Silver Member
Tractor
06 Montana 4940C/R4/FEL arched boom.
Here are some pictures of my Montana 4940C with a FH-188 Bush Hog flail mower. I bought the flail mower and refurbished it from the ground up. Thought I’d share some pictures with you all. Enjoy

Attachments

• Flail188 022.jpg
    Flail188 022.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 826
  • Flail188 023.jpg
    Flail188 023.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 1,754
  • Flail188 024.jpg
    Flail188 024.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Flail188 021.jpg
    Flail188 021.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 577
  • Flail188 020.jpg
    Flail188 020.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 747
   / Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #2  
Very nice! That mower looks like it just came from the factory.

/Todd

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #3  
Vey nice job! I also really like the tinted windows on that cab. It gives the tractor a "cool" factor in more way than one.

Just curious, how could you resist painting that mower Montana green?

Ken

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower..
Ken

I had thought about painting it to match the Montana green. I had a gallon of some safety yellow paint left over from a different job and didn't want to trash it. I bought the flail mower in a school auction for $300.00 and it was in good working condition. But, I can’t leave well enough alone so, I tore it down to the last nut and bolt. I sand blasted everything I could, then primed it four times, sanded it, and then painted it with six coats of paint. It looks very nice and it has an 18" shine paint job. I had to change out some bearings and I replaced all the hangers, knives and steel bolts with all stainless bolts and nuts.

I really like how the flail cuts my bermuda grass. It leaves a very nice sharp looking cut. I did mow with a Land Pride FDR 1672 finish mower before and it cut well but not as good as my flail mower does. I did tent all the windows on the cab. I took all the windows off including the trim and handles. I tented the glass with a 20% 3M film that worked so well. I can tell big differences in the cab temperature during the summer. The cab will hold a steady 68 degrees now, and before it would only get down in the mid 70 degree range. Also the sun glare is gone now plus it does look good. People ask me about the tented windows all the time and how I like it.

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #5  
Very nice job.
Bob

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #6  
Very nice. I have a question about the tinted windows. How much does it help keping the cab cool in summer. My A/C is just barely getting the job done at around 100F. Much above that it it is not really that cool inside.

I was thinking about tinting the windows to help cool it down, but do a fair amount of work at night and was worried that it would hinder my vision.

JC

JC

I live in south east Texas, just south of Houston. It will reach 100+ here sometimes in the prime time of summer. I had the same problem with the A/C trying to keep up in the hot time of the day. I had a local window tinting company come out and give me a bid to tint my cab windows. When I received a bid for $700.00 I said “no way”.

So, I got on Ebay and won a roll of 20% 3M window film, took off all the windows and tinted all them myself. The roll was 60” x 20’. My window tinting job turned out very nice. No air bubbles or streaks in the film. I did notice a big difference in the temperature in the cab after tinting my windows. I run the A/C on cold and with the fan speed on low. I also use my tractor at night and have no trouble seeing out the windows. The tinted windows are well worth it, but hey, thats just what I think.

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #8  
Does that mower have any kind of wheels to keep it from scalping? Didn't see any, and just wondering how it mows?

There is a large 6” steel roller with a mud scraper that rolls on the ground. You can adjust the roller up or down for your desired cutting height. Also, you can adjust the top link for finer height adjustments. If you look at the pics I have posted, you can see the roller some what. If you look at the back of the mower, just below the black rubber trash deflector, you can see the roller. The roller is as wide as the flail mower is. Hope this helps...

/ Montana 4940C with a flail mower.. #10  
Very nice looking rig. I am in the market myself. I checked out the small 30 horse Montana a few weeks ago. I am thinking about needing the cab.

Can you give me idea about the pricing?

Thanks.

Garth