Montana 5740C intermittent no crank

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank #1  

RustyA

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 40 Cab
I have a Montana 5740C with Mitsubishi engine that intermittently will not crank. When it gets into the event it seems that cycling the key completely off and back to crank will make it work after 8-12 key cycles. Cleaned both battery connections pos and neg, cleaned neg ground by battery, cleaned connections at starter solenoid and it made no difference. Replaced starter with brand new Chinese one Saturday and it wouldn't crank even after 15 key cycles. Battery is 4 year old Napa Gold 710 amp that with midtronics tester tests for 660 cca. However if I top off the charge on the battery it cranks right away...unless that's just a coincidence? In the Montana parts catalog I see there is a starter relay in the steering console part# Q1800018 or TRG-750. Has anyone else run into this being the cause of the problem? When key is turned to crank and it doesn't there is one light click inside the cab like a relay would make? Trying to decide whether to replace $39 relay or $110 battery next...hate hanging parts on but I'm getting stumped with this one.

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank #2  
I have a Montana 5740C with Mitsubishi engine that intermittently will not crank. When it gets into the event it seems that cycling the key completely off and back to crank will make it work after 8-12 key cycles. Cleaned both battery connections pos and neg, cleaned neg ground by battery, cleaned connections at starter solenoid and it made no difference. Replaced starter with brand new Chinese one Saturday and it wouldn't crank even after 15 key cycles. Battery is 4 year old Napa Gold 710 amp that with midtronics tester tests for 660 cca. However if I top off the charge on the battery it cranks right away...unless that's just a coincidence? In the Montana parts catalog I see there is a starter relay in the steering console part# Q1800018 or TRG-750. Has anyone else run into this being the cause of the problem? When key is turned to crank and it doesn't there is one light click inside the cab like a relay would make? Trying to decide whether to replace $39 relay or $110 battery next...hate hanging parts on but I'm getting stumped with this one.

Have you checked all the safety switches?? neutral safety, seat safety, trans safety, clutch, PTO safety etc., etc...

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank
When it's in the event if I lift my foot off clutch pedal the relay click does not happen, and if I hold key in crank position and depress the clutch pedal it clicks once about 1.5" from bottom of pedal travel. I figured that eliminated safety stuff as cause?

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank #4  
Rusty, I have had my 5740C since 2005 and have never experienced this problem. Sorry. I wonder though, have you considered checking your key switch in the dash with a meter to be sure it is OK and working properly? Good luck.

So I finally had time the other night to remove LH lower console cover to access relays. Identified the starter relay and every time the starter failed to crank the starter relay just clicked internally...could feel it with my hand. LS part number Q1800018 was very difficult to cross over and no one locally had one. Gave it to our local NAPA store and they came up with a perfect match in their illustrated parts guide. Echlin # is AR396 and automotive application is 1986-2001 Hyundai but it's got the proper tabs for harness and bolt attachment. Will install it tonight and hopefully that cures my woes. Thought I would post the NAPA number in case anyone else ever needs one. LS part number sells for $30-90 depending on seller and NAPA over the counter price was $21.95.

Installed new starter relay tonight and it's a miracle. Cranked and started 15 times in a row. So far so good!

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank #7  
Rusty, Thanks for the info and part numbers. Congrats on getting your tractor fixed too.

Update to my intermittent no crank problem...as soon as weather turned cold again it started acting up again. After cycling glow plugs and waiting for glow plug light to go out relay clicking and no crank. Had a helper cycle key while I narrowed the clicking noise down to the glow plug relay assy on firewall in engine compartment. It's a dual relay setup that wants glow plugs to cycle prior to allowing engine to crank. Replaced glow plug relay assy three weeks ago and no issues since...fingers crossed:)

/ Montana 5740C intermittent no crank #9  
Thanks for the post RustyA. This thread has been very helpful.
I've got the same tractor and am having a similar problem. The glow plug light stopped coming on when I turn the key to on and the tractor won't start.I tried a new starter relay and a new glow relay with no luck. Can it be the glow timer? I just feel like I'm tossing $ at parts, but not sure what else to look at.

When you say won't start do you mean starter turns engine over but it won't fire...or starter will not crank? If it's starter won't crank and you have replaced the starter relay and glow plug relay perhaps you have a safety device that is malfunctioning not allowing the glow plugs or starter to engage? Perhaps a bad switch on the clutch so it can't see the clutch is depressed? On mine I eliminated that circuit by turning the key to crank while depressing the clutch pedal which allowed my "click" to happen. That way I knew my clutch pedal switch was operational. I would check that switch next for not allowing power to glow plug/starter relays. If that's good my next step would be to test for power at the ignition switch in run and crank position?