Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #1  

SmokemanGRP

Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
I stopped by a Montana / McCormick dealer yesterday and I am wondering if anyone can confirm or dispel some of the information the salesman told me:

a) Montana will not offer any SCUT's in 2008; the T2334 and T2734 will be eliminated. This is contrary to the information on the Montana website.

b) Montana tractors had either a Cummings or Mitsubishi engine; the Cummings is no longer available. The Montana website shows Daedong and Mitsubishi. Are Cummings and Daedong tractor engines one and the same or related in any way? Maybe the same parent company?

c) The 2008 McCormick CUT's are sisters to the Montana "R" series; virtually identical except for color; exact same specs. Both are South Korean (which he didn't mention until I brought up Montana's coming from there) tractors assembled in the States.

Thanks ... Greg

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #2  
As for part -C- LS in South Korea makes several models for both McCormick and Montana.

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions
I called Montana yesterday and the answer to my question a) is yes, they will not offer SCUT's in 2008; the "T" series is being eliminated. As well as the "C" series and a bunch of other models like the 2740, 3240, 3440HST, 3940HST, 4320, 4340, 4540, 4920 and 4940. She said the new "U" series is replacing the 43's, 49's and 57's. Sounds like they are doing some Spring Cleaning !!!!

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #4  
SmokemanGRP said:
b) Montana tractors had either a Cummings or Mitsubishi engine; the Cummings is no longer available. The Montana website shows Daedong and Mitsubishi. Are Cummings and Daedong tractor engines one and the same or related in any way? Maybe the same parent company?

The answer here is that Daedong, who owns and builds Kioti tractors, builds small diesels according to Cummins specs in S. Korea for Cummins. When sold in tractors of S. Korean manufacture like Montana, McCormick, Kioti, etc., they are typically branded Daedong, not Cummins. You have to pay more for the Cummins nameplate. :rolleyes:

I personally have a R4944HST with the 4-cylinder Mitsubishi in it, and it couldn't be stronger or smoother. My understanding is that, simply by their nature of having one less cylinder, the 3-cyl Daedong motors run a little more rough but are plenty reliable.

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #5  
Big_Charlie said:
The answer here is that Daedong, who owns and builds Kioti tractors, builds small diesels according to Cummins specs in S. Korea for Cummins. When sold in tractors of S. Korean manufacture like Montana, McCormick, Kioti, etc., they are typically branded Daedong, not Cummins. You have to pay more for the Cummins nameplate. :rolleyes:

I personally have a R4944HST with the 4-cylinder Mitsubishi in it, and it couldn't be stronger or smoother. My understanding is that, simply by their nature of having one less cylinder, the 3-cyl Daedong motors run a little more rough but are plenty reliable.

I never knew that about Daedong in terms of Cummins. I know Kukje (Branson) manufacturers Cummins but did not know Daedong did.

The 4944 is a Mitsubishi engine but is manufactured by LG/LS in house under a liscense from Mitsubishi. So, it is genuine Mitsubishi but LS manufactured. We have sold many, many Montana tractors and the Mitsubishi and Daedong engines are great.

Maka

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #6  
Maka said:
I never knew that about Daedong in terms of Cummins. I know Kukje (Branson) manufacturers Cummins but did not know Daedong did.

You know...I may have to revisit my research on that. I swear I read somewhere that Daedong was making engines for Cummins, but maybe it was Kukje/Branson, or maybe both. You know, those Korean companies, smart businessmen that they are, cross manufacture stuff all over the place. For example, almost all plasma screens in the world are made by like 2 Korean companies, no matter what brand TV or monitor you are buying. Same deal with LCD's.

/ Montana SCUT, Engine and McCorkick Questions #7  
DaeDong makes their own engines because they had the resources and the smarts. Emissions regs will be driving this business here to 2010.

Look for the landscape to change.....ALOT.